Skiing is a very fun activity. Only a few activities are more exciting than that feeling of shredding the slopes on a winter day. As exhilarating as it is, skiing is also a dangerous sport. Thus, safety is of the utmost importance when going on a skiing trip. One important safety tool is to be in constant communication with your peers during the trip. And there is where the handy walkie talkie comes in.
5 Best-Selling Walkie Talkie for Skiing
Table of Contents
Not only is this useful during the activity, but it is also convenient as well. With just a click of a button, you can easily communicate with your peers to help you get your way around.
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Walkie Talkie for Skiing
- long range up to 37 miles: provides an extended long range signal up to 37 miles with 2662 channel combinations & 121 privacy codes to minimize unwanted interference
- noaa weather & alert: be prepared for storms and emergencies with built-in noaa radio receiver and alert in the event of weather or other emergencies
- vox - voice-activated transmission: the user's voice is detected and the radio transmits without the need to press any buttons, freeing hands for other tasks
As the name suggests, this walkie talkie is weatherproof. It has a sleek, trendy design that goes well with your ski gear. This gadget is your perfect outdoor buddy.
The unit is long-range and can reach up to 37 miles. It is also set to receive NOAA weather updates and alerts. So you are always aware when there are sudden shifts in the weather. It also has a voice-activated transmission feature, which is handy when you are out on the slopes. This walkie talkie has a waterproof rating of IPX7.
- limited lifetime warranty: warranty only valid by authorized resellers.
- long range communication: one watt of power provides up to 250,000 sq. ft. / 20 floors of long distance signal range with 2,662 channel combinations.
- 22 preset channels: channels are preset with privacy codes to minimize unwanted interference from others.
The DEWALT walkie talkie comes in a lightweight design. It weighs .66lbs and is something you can easily insert into your outerwear. It is waterproof with a rating of IP67.
This means that it can withstand water immersion for up to 30 minutes with a depth of 1 meter. The DEWALT is also shock resistant, which comes in very handy with this sport. It already has 22 preset channels and can easily be operated. The DEWALT comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- up to 50-mile range - uniden frs radios keep you in touch whether you are out camping, shopping, biking or caravanning on the highway. rated at up to 50 miles, these two-way radios provide great range when there is a clear view between the radios. your actual range may be limited by hills, buildings, trees, and other obstructions.
- with 22 channels, and 142 privacy codes/142 direct call codes there’s always an open line for uninterrupted communications. and since the sx507 operates on industry-standard frequencies, you can easily communicate with people using other models or brands.
- uniden sx507-2ckhs is certified jis7 and can be submerged in up to three feet of water for up to 30 minutes. on the plus side it floats, so you wont have to dive underwater to retrieve it.
If you are looking for a lightweight walkie talkie with long battery life, then the Uniden is for you. It has a 50-mile range with 14 hours of battery life.
The Uniden is waterproof and shockproof and is also set to receive NOAA updates to keep you one step ahead of foul weather. This unit also floats, just in case you lose it near bodies of water.
The Uniden operates in standard frequencies to easily communicate with other people of different models or brands.
- small business walkie talkies; less than 0.6 inches thick; it can be carried easily in a pocket without catching or bulging
- double ptt design; whether you wear gloves or put it on the table; you can easily push to talk
- rugged metal back clip; can withstand the daily wear and tear of commercial environments
The Retevis RT18 is very lightweight and has a sleek design. It can easily be inserted into your pocket without bulging. Although this walkie talkie is made for small business or commercial use, it is also handy in outdoor activities.
It has a VOX handsfree feature, which frees you from the need to push to talk. This feature comes in handy when you are out skiing. The Retevis R18 has 16 channels and can block out unwanted chatter.
- 【long range & easy operation】uhf radios support up to 3 miles communication range in open fields, provide 0.6-1.2 miles communication in built-up areas or obstructed conditions. walkie talkies for adults in outdoor activities hiking camping road trip as well as for kids to keep in contact with parents.
- 【ultra-portable 2-way radio】 preset 22 gmrs/frs channels plus 99 set of ctcss tones (privacy codes), provides an extensive frequency usage (up to 2178 combinations), license-free in the us.
- 【built-in backlit lcd screen, speaker & mic】 lcd display shows you the battery status, channel number as well as the sub-tones, volume level, and signal status, etc. built-in flashlight for night use or emergency.
When you are out on the lookout for the perfect budget-friendly walkie talkie, then the Rivins RV-7 is for you. It has 22 preset frequencies, which make it easier to operate, and has a 5-mile range.
The Rivins also has a VOX feature that supports the hands-free operation. It also has a keypad lock, which prevents any unintended input that may be brought about when skiing. They operate with AAA batteries, which makes you save time from charging.
Many walkie talkies with a price range of less than $100 can offer a transmission range of 50 miles depending on the terrain. This is very handy when you are outdoors. The range is normally stated in the product specifications, which makes it easier for you to check.
2. Battery Life
Battery life is important. Normally, when you are outdoors, there is also no power supply, so it’s best to come prepared. Some brands offer up to 14 hours. Depending on the activities that you are engaging in, you can always carry extra batteries.
3. VOX Feature
The VOX feature is important when you are out skiing. Because this frees you from the need to push to talk. With a headset connected to your walkie talkie, there is no need to take out the unit itself.
Being in the great outdoors, it is normal to get exposed to harsh conditions. So it is best to get the ones that can handle rough conditions as well. Many brands design their walkie talkies for outdoor activities.
For skiing, check if the unit is waterproof and shockproof before deciding to purchase.
Normally walkie talkies come in preset frequencies. Now, this is handy for ease of use. Just switch to one of the presets, and you can now communicate directly with your companions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Walkie talkies have the same set standard frequencies regardless of the brand. Either FRS or GMRS. But you can always set the frequency to block out unnecessary chatter.
Walkie talkies are normally limited to ultra-high frequency range and are prohibited from using commercial frequencies. So any of the frequencies between 400-512 MHz will do. You can also use any of the standards presets in the unit.
This is fairly easy. Just set both units to the same channel, and you are good to go.
Many brands advertise a range of 50 miles. But this is dependent on the terrain you are in. Under ideal situations, the effective range can be from 5 to 20 miles on average.
Two way radios are not easy to trace. So when you are outdoors, it’s best to keep yourself oriented with regards to your location.
Walkie talkies are very handy tools for safety. There is no need to pay a hefty price for getting brands with good quality. So the next time you go out skiing, camping, or any other outdoor activity, remember to bring one with you so you can always be in contact with your companions.