Based on our research, here is an updated list of 15 “best selling portable air conditioners” that have consistently earned praise from consumers and critics alike:
What is the “best of the best” portable air conditioner?
For a reasonable price, Whynter packs quite the punch at 14,000 BTU. Quite frankly, it is the best 14000 BTU portable air conditioner out there. It’s sleek, stylish, efficient and eco-friendly. And the great thing about it is that you can also use it as a portable heater during winter.
Table of Contents
- Black Decker BPACT10WT Conditioner, 10,000 BTU
- MOVTIP Portable Air Conditioner Humidifier Misting Fan For Home Office Bedroom White
- Shinco 10000 BTU Portable Remote Control, Complete Window Mount Exhaust Kit
- BLACKDECKER BPACT08WT Portable Air Conditioner, 8,000 BTU, White
- Shinco 8000 BTU Portable Remote Control, Complete Window Mount Exhaust Kit
- Vremi 10000 BTU Portable Rooms 200 To 350 Square Feet
- BLACKDECKER BPACT12WT Portable Air 12,000 BTU, White
- Personal Air Cooler 5000 Speeds,Ultra Quite Cooling Fan For Outdoor Home And Office
- Portable Space Air Conditioner Conditioner Fan With Timing Function For Home Room Office
- Midea Smart 3in1 Portable SACC Control With Remote, Smartphone Or Alexa
- Portable Air Conditioner Fan Humidifier Misting Fan For Small Room Bedroom Home Office
- Whynter ARC14S 14000 BTU For Rooms Up To 500 Sq Ft, Platinum And Black
- AUZKIN Portable Air Conditioner Humidifier With Timer For Home, Office
- Portable Air Conditioner Oscillating With Timer And 3-Speed For Home, Office-White
- Evaporative Air Cooler Battery Outdoor- Auto Oscillation 700ml Water Tank
What “size” portable air conditioner do I need for my space?
Before we move on to exploring other alternatives to Whynter Portable AC, I want to briefly talk about how the “power” of an air conditioner is determined and what size/power air conditioner you need.
The cooling power of an air conditioner is measured in British Thermal Units (BTUs). Generally speaking, a BTU is the amount of energy needed to cool or heat one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit. In air conditioner (AC) lingo, however, a BTU measures the amount of heat an AC unit can remove from the room. Therefore, the size of your area determines how many BTU- air conditioner you will need.
You don’t want a very low BTU – since it will be running constantly to get to your comfort zone. When an AC is underpowered for space, it’s not only not-energy-sufficient but it will not quite cool the space to your comfortable range. And, the air conditioner unit might burn out sooner too from the constant uphill battle.
On the other hand if the unit is too large, it will cool the room quickly, but only remove some of the humidity. This leaves the room with a damp, clammy feeling. It is important to get a properly sized unit that will remove humidity effectively as it cools.
In order to figure out the right size portable AC unit for your space, do the following:
1. Find the square footage of the area to be cooled. To get the square footage, simply multiply the length of the space by its width. So, if my space is 10 feet wide and 16 feet long, your area is 160 sq. ft.
2. Then measure your square footage against the following chart from Energy Star. So, in my case (160 sq. ft. ), I will need a 6,000 BTU unit.
|Area To Be Cooled (Sq. Ft.)||Capacity Needed (BTUs)|
|100 up to 150||5,000|
|150 up to 250||6,000|
|250 up to 300||7,000|
|300 up to 350||8,000|
|350 up to 400||9,000|
|400 up to 450||10,000|
|450 up to 550||12,000|
|550 up to 700||14,000|
|700 up to 1,000||18,000|
|1,000 up to 1,200||21,000|
|1,200 up to 1,400||23,000|
|1,400 up to 1,500||24,000|
|1,500 up to 2,000||30,000|
|2,000 up to 2,500||34,000|
You also want to adjust your capacity based on the space occupancy and environment. For example, if the room is very sunny, you should increase the BTU capacity by 10%. Similarly, if the room is very shaded, you can reduce the capacity by 10%. However, there is no need to get too hung-up on getting exactly right. As long as you are not too off, you should be good to go.
Our #1 Pick for The Best Portable Air Conditioner Overall
Whynter ARC-14S Portable Air Conditioner (14,000 BTU)
The Best Portable 14,000 BTU Air Conditioner
Whynter Portable Air Conditioner Review
Whynter ARC-14S Portable Air Conditioner cools really well. At 14,000 BTUs you can easily cool your average 500 sq. ft. of space.
It has very compact design, is CFC free and is strategically designed for minimal energy consumption. It measures 35.5 by 19 by 16 inches. Four multi-directional casters let you easily wheel it from one room to another.
You can operate it in three different modes – air conditioner, fan or dehumidifier.
It has 24 hour programmable timer that lets you control temperature to your desired comfort zone. You may also program the unit to activate or shut off at preset times using the timer. The cooling range is 61°F – 89°F and heating is 61°F – 77°F.
It’s equipped with Dual Hose Exhaust for Optimal Airflow and Efficiency.
The “Dual Hose” system is an extremely important part of portable air conditioning. You can buy a portable Air conditioner with either a single or dual hose system. A single hose system uses just one hose to pump hot air out of the building. The problem with this is that this reduces the air pressure inside your home, and, as a result, hot air from the outside to come in through cracks in doors and windows.
This makes Whynter also an excellent choice for people who are looking for The Best Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner.
On the other hand, dual-hose units like Whynter ARC-14S, cool the hot air that’s already inside the house and return it to the room from where it came to begin with. So, it is essentially recyling the indoor air and not dealing with cooling the outside air. To keep itself from overheating, a second intake hose draws in air from the outside to cool the unit and then pumps it right back out again.
Even though this Black and Decker Portable Air Conditioner comes pretty close, we like Whynter better for its overall reliability and usability.
Whynter comes packed with everything you need to get it installed and running right out of the box including – a remote control, plastic window kit, two exhaust hoses, carbon air filter and washable pre-filter.
Read what customers have to say about Whynter ARC-14S here.
Check Out Whynter ARC-14SH on Amazon
Looking for a great grill to entertain your family and friends? Check out this guide to the best propane grill.
- quiet & powerful - our 10,000 btu compact air conditioner (16.5 x 11.5 x 26 in,) will keep you cool and comfortable all summer. an adjustable fan speed cools the air to 65°f at the coolest setting. sleep mode makes it extra quiet while you rest.
- perfect for small rooms - this floor-standing portable ac unit provides steady, fast, effective cooling for rooms 150 - 250 sq. ft. it’s the ideal small air conditioner for dorms, apartments, cabins, campers, offices, bedrooms, or living rooms.
- simple & quick to install – just roll this portable air conditioner with wheels into any room with a double hung or sliding window. attach the included hose (4’ 11”) & window adapter, & plug it in to an outlet! when not in use, just unhook & store.
- 【multi-function】 3 in 1 multifunction design, can be used as an personal air conditioner, ordinary desk fan, air humidifier. cools, humidifies for better air, can moisturize skin and air humidification, keep away from dry air, enjoy your moist cooling summer
- 【portable air conditioner】 the evaporative cooler is only 8 inch height, mini size and lightweight with a portable handle, built in 2000mah rechargeable battery make this usb air cooler can be used wirelessly, easily carry to anywhere. perfect for your bedroom, kitchen, office, dorm room, on your desktop and table top and so on
- 【600ml water tank & adjustable wind speeds】 with 600ml large capacity, water tank can front and behind draw and pull, convenient for front directly add water or ice to accelerate the cooling speed, add water once and enjoy 8 hours of moisture. three adjustable speeds and two air blowing mode, you can select the most suitable one to enjoy your leisure time or family time
- ✅【keep-cool】- compact 10,000 btu portable air conditioner unit delivers fast, effective cooling for spaces up to 300 sq.ft in home, bedroom, office, cabin or camper. when the room is cool enough, switch to the first speed level,this air conditioner will become quiet(noise ≤52db), enough to maintain the temperature while you are sleeping.
- ✅【multi-function modes】- 3 functions in one machine. air conditioner cools your room quickly; 3-speed fan satisfies your needs. with 75 pint dehumidifying capacity per day, the dehumidifier function is a quick fix for stopping the growing of bacteria and mold in hot and humid environment, keep your room cool and dry!
- ✅【self-evaporative system】- the portable ac is built with self-evaporative cooling technology that cools the condenser coils with water from the air. this not only increases cooling efficiency, it also reduces the water that collects in the tank, so you won't have to empty it as often.
- quiet & powerful - our 8,000 btu compact air conditioner (16.5 x 11.5 x 26 in,) will keep you cool and comfortable all summer. an adjustable fan speed cools the air to 65°f at the coolest setting. sleep mode makes it extra quiet while you rest
- perfect for small rooms - this floor-standing portable ac unit provides steady, fast, effective cooling for rooms up to 200 sq. ft. it’s the ideal small air conditioner for dorms, apartments, cabins, campers, offices, bedrooms, or living rooms
- simple & quick to install – just wheel this portable air conditioner into any room with a double hung or sliding window. attach the included hose (4’ 11”) & window adapter, & plug it in to an outlet! at the end of the season, just unhook & store
- ✅【easy-cool】- compact 8,000 btu portable air conditioner unit, delivers fast, effective cooling for spaces up to 200 sq.ft in home, bedroom, dorms, apartments, cabins, campers, offices, bedrooms, or living rooms. when the room is cool enough, switch to the first speed level,this air conditioner will become quiet(noise ≤55db), enough to maintain the temperature while you are sleeping.
- ✅【3-in-1 functionality】- it has 3 modes to choose from - cooling, dehumidification, fan only. air conditioner cools your room quickly; 2-speed fan satisfies your needs. with 19.2l/day dehumidifying capacity, the dehumidifier function is a quick fix for stopping the growing of bacteria and mold in hot and humid environment.bucket-less, self-evaporating operation makes your living space cool, clean and dry.
- ✅【easy-to-use】- led display and simple selections control panel,full-featured remote, 24-hr timer, plus a quiet ＜55db output on low speed mode for disturbance-free nights. four castors wheels make it easy to move from place to place, you can place it on bedroom, study, living room, kitchen, small office, rv, party and etc.
- powerful portable air conditioner - beat the heat without having a central ac at home or office with vremi portable air conditioner. ashrae rated at 10,000 btu (5,700 btu 2017 sacc standard) this machine is suited to cool a 200 to 350 square feet room. this unit is designed to be installed in standard windows with a horizontal opening.
- programmable control panel - our high-quality air conditioning machine is designed for comfort. it features an easy-to-read led display and includes a compact remote control to easily set the time, temperature speed, and mode from across the room. its 24-hour adjustable timer can cool a room to a temperature between 18°c-32°c (64°f-90°f) and has 4 modes to choose from - cool, fan, dry, and sleep.
- hassle-free installation - this 16.5 x 12.2 x 27.6 inches portable aircon is equipped with built-in rolling wheels for you to easily move the unit to any room with an accessible window. all accessories are included and no need to use special tools or lift the unit to install. simply roll the ac to your preferred cooling area, attach the 5.6 ft hose and the window slide adapter, turn the unit on and viola! you’re good to go!
- quiet & powerful - our 12,000 btu compact air conditioner (17.1 x 13.8 x 28.1 in,) will keep you cool and comfortable all summer. an adjustable fan speed cools the air to 65°f at the coolest setting. sleep mode makes it extra quiet while you rest
- perfect for small rooms - this floor-standing portable ac unit provides steady, fast, effective cooling for rooms up to 300 sq. ft. it’s the ideal small air conditioner for dorms, apartments, cabins, campers, offices, bedrooms, or living rooms
- simple & quick to install – just roll this portable air conditioner with wheels into any room with a double hung or sliding window. attach the included hose (4'11") & window adapter, & plug it in to an outlet! at the end of summer, just unhook & store
- three wind speeds (minimum;medium;maximum) and refrigeration control can be adjusted, touch the rotating switch then it will set oscillate 60 and 120°right and left or manual up-down the shutter to adjust blowing direction, create your own personal cooling zone. the package contain usb cable so you can charge this fan via wall adapter or other devices.✨make sure the charger with an output of 5v-2a.✨
- 🍃energy saving🍃 this evaporative air cooler is low energy consumption.
- ❉unique design❉the air conditioner fan is made of high quality material.built-in 700ml water tank which can continuously blow cool wind for 3~12 hours. powerful 3 in 1 design make it can be used as personal air cooler, humidifier, conditioner fan, greatly solving many problems in summer。
- ?fast cooling; fresh moist air with 3 speeds?- our 2020 newly improved 3 in 1 personal space cooler is equipped with air cooler, humidifier and timing function, it also purifies air. you could use it as a fan(3 speeds available) or add ice water to make it a mini air conditioner by giving you moist and fresh cold air. cool you off in seconds in a hot kitchen, living room, home or office.
- ?environmental protection design? -just add pure water, plug in the power supply, it can continuously supply you with moist air, so that you can work and live comfortably in the hot summer, there is no polluted gas like air conditioner. it just disperses water droplets into the air around you and keeps you cool by evaporation of water vapor.
- ?timer function & quiet operation? - need a cooling system to help you fall asleep but won’t want to keep cooling you all night to catch cold? don’t worry, our evaporative air cooler is designed with timing function which you can switch between 1h, 3h, 6h timer as needed. ultra quiet operation offers you a peaceful and comfortable sleep.
- smartcool: the midea portable air conditioner, ashrae rating 10, 000 btu (5800 btu 2017 sacc standard) delivers fast, effective cooling for spaces up to 200 sq. ft while simultaneously providing fan and dehumidification functions in any home, bedroom, office or cabin; creating a relaxing and comfortable environment.
- wifi enabled & voice control: control your portable ac from anywhere using our smartphone app. switch modes, set a schedule, and more. pairing your ac with alexa or with google assistant, the unit will respond to voice commands, keeping your home cool and comfortable.
- effortless operation：enjoy the simplicity and comfort of digital controls. the portable ac features an easy-to-read led display and includes a compact remote control (batteries included) to easily set the time, temperature, and mode, from across the room. its 24-hour adjustable timer can cool a room to a temperature between 62°f-90°f and has 3 modes to choose from - cooling, dehumidification, fan only.
- 【3 in 1 portable air conditioner fan】 this portable air conditioner fan can be used as an ordinary desk fan, cool mist humidifier or as an air cooler fan by adding ice and water into tank so you will feel more cooling and fresh wind come out.
- 【air humidification】 with the water tank, continuously spraying for 3-5 hours for one tank water, drop your favorite essential oil into water, the misting air come out to increase the air humidity, purify air and keeps your skin moisture.
- 【7 color lights & ultra-quiet】the misting fan is built in 7 soft lights which can bring you a good mood and help you fall asleep better. this ultra-quiet air cooler can work powerfully at a low noise level, make you enjoy a comfortable sleep all night with suitable temperature and low-level noise.
- award winning: 1. good housekeeping's "2020 best overall" and "can cool down a room faster than other portable units" 2. consumer report's 2020 highest score; ul listed
- dual hose operation; cools up to a 500 square feet space(ambient temperature and humidity may influence optimum performance); dehumidifying capacity: 71 pints per day; air flow (at high speed): 430 m3/h / 253 cfm; 3 fan speeds
- three operational modes: air conditioner, dehumidifier or fan; cooling capacity 14000 btu (ashrae-128 standard) / 9500 btu (doe+ 2017 standard); maximum power consumption: 1300 w / 11.6 a.never use harsh chemicals, oil-based products, detergents, chemically treated cloths orother cleaning solutions. these could possibly damage the body of the air conditioner
- spray cooling technology：auzkin portable air conditioner uses ultrasonic atomization technology to atomize the water, then cool and humid air blows out. unlike other air conditioners, our air cooler not only cool the air but also moisten your skin. the product can be used as a personal air cooler, fan and humidifier, keep you away from the hot weather and enjoy a comfortable summer.
- adjustable wind speed and direction：three wind speeds (high, medium, low) of auzkin air cooler can be adjusted. (the maximal fan rotating speed reaches 4000rmp, and the maximum wind speed reaches 3.5m / s). the portable air conditioner with 90° oscillation and adjustable louvers can control the wind direction as you like and create a larger comfort zone.
- timing setting：considering that you will catch a cold when blowing for a long time at night, our mini air conditioner adds a 2/4/6 hour timer setting. the 11oz (320ml) water tank can ensure that the product continues to run for 4-6 hours without worrying that mist might stop.
- ultrasound spray cooling technology：bosamax portable air conditioner uses ultrasonic atomization technology to atomize the water in the water tank into ultra-fine water molecules, the fan blows out the cool and humid air. unlike other air conditioners, our air cooler can cool the surrounding air, and do not make your skin feel dry. the product can be used as a personal air cooler, fan and humidifier, keep you away from the hot weather and enjoy the comfortable summer.
- controllable wind speed and direction：three wind speeds (high, medium, low) can be adjusted, the maximal fan rotating speed reaches 4000rmp, and the maximum wind speed reaches 3.5m / s。manual up-down to adjust blowing direction in 90 degrees, you can control the wind direction as you like and create your own personal cooling zone. tips: press the "power" button for two seconds to turns off the portable air conditioner.
- timing setting：considering that you will catch a cold when blowing for a long time at night, our mini air conditioner adds a 2/4/6 hour timer setting. the 11oz (320ml) water tank can ensure that the product continues to run for 4-6 hours without worrying that the air conditioner will stop working because of out of water.
- instant cool down at max 47℉: enhanced powerful motor presents cold breeze within seconds with a much longer wind distance(5ft); 3 speeds and 3 modes, spraying cool mist according to your needs
- 120 degree angled auto oscillation: adjustable 60/120 degree oscillation, support rotation from left to right like a desk fan, circulating air while enlarge cooling area, cooling your surrounding evenly, not just in only one direction
- rechargeable battery and usb charging: air cooler with built-in 5000 mah grade a battery, runs up to 9hours, it also support usb-c input charging, you can place it anywhere like: bedroom, office, nightstand, counter or even take it out for camping...no matter if there’s power source or not
Other Top Rated Portable Air Conditioner Reviews
The Best Portable 12,000 BTU Air Conditioner
The common question that gets asked often is are LG portable air conditioners any good?
The answer is quite simple. Of course, they are. LG is a reputable brand that has been around for a really long time. They manufacture excellent electronic devices, including portable air conditioners.
LG Electronics LP1214GXR Portable Air Conditioner is a 12,000 BTU unit that you can use to cool a fairy decent sized room (about 450 sq. ft.).
It has the oscillating air vent technology which circulates the dispersed air more efficiently. That means, no hot spot will be left untouched.
It also comes with the programmable 24-hour on/off timer, LCD and a remote control.
The only beef I have with this unit is – the noise is a bit louder than I expected but it isn’t terrible – it’s a consistent white noise that you start tuning out in no time.
The Best Portable 10,000 BTU Air Conditioner
Honeywell’s AC is a 10,000 BTU portable air conditioner that works well with space around 350-400 square feet.
It is comparatively quiet, and has sleek, modern look.
It comes with the digital LED display, feather-touch controls, and a full-function remote control.
The auto-evaporation system allows for hours of continuous operation (without having to empty water / bucket).
The installation is a breeze. You’ll get the unit up and running in less than 10 minutes.
The Best Small Portable Air Conditioner
If you are looking to cool smaller area, then 8,000 BTU Whynter ARC-08WB is a great solution.
It also comes with self-evaporative system that self-controls condensation – so you will not need a bucket to drain the water out.
Its compact and easy to setup in smaller / tight spaces.
Now, if you are looking for the best portable air conditioner for high humidity, this portable AC is the way to go.
It’s a single hose venting system with three operational modes – air conditioner, fan or dehumidifier. A full functional remote control and window kit is included.
The Best Honeywell Portable Air Conditioner
Now, if you are looking for slightly better strength from a Honeywell brand, Honeywell MN12CES will get the job done for you.
This 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner has a sleek, modern design and cools and dehumidifies areas up to 450 square feet.
It includes other Honeywell standard features such as full-function remote, digital LED display, precise feature-touch controls, automatic on/off timer from 1-24 hours and comparatively quieter operation.
The no-drip design and auto-evaporation system offers hassle-free continuous operation for hours without having to worry about water-drips.
Online users have given it interesting reviews. Read customer reviews here
The Best Frigidaire Portable Air Conditioner
If you have a fairly small area, such as a home office room, Frigidaire FRA053PU1 will get the job done for you.
With the capacity of around 5,000 BTU, it’s ideal for around 200 square foot of space. The multi-speed fan features three different fan speeds for more cooling flexibility.
The design is sleek and it looks rather cool. Integrated side handles and caster wheels making it easy to move your unit from one room to another.
The clean air ionizer removes pollen and impurities from the air providing relief for allergy sufferers . It also has the antibacterial filter which reduces bacteria, room odors, and other airborne particles.
Keep in mind, this unit is for a very small area. If you think you might need something more, splurge a little bit and get a higher BTU portable AC.
The Best Compact Portable Air Conditioner
NewAir AC-10100E is another great 10,000 BTU model, great for spaces around 325 sq. ft.
It’s compact, sleek and highly energy-efficient. The auto-evaporative system ensures hours of continuous operation without having to drain water out.
It has a standard electronic control panel, an on-board air purification system, a 12-hour timer, sleep mode and adjustable fan speeds.
The only issue I have with this unit is that the exhaust does not tilt as much as I would like to. But that’s not a dealbreaker.
The Most Quiet Portable Air Conditioner
De’Longhi PACAN140HPEWC is a great alternative to our top pick Whynter ARC-14SH. It’s just a little too pricey.
It works as an air conditioner, dehumidifier, fan, and heater all-in-one, so you can use it year-round. The 24-hour programmable timer allows you to operate the unit only when you need it.
It has a Whisper Cool function specifically designed to reduce noise by as much as 50 percent – so it’s fairly quiet.
A patented condensation system ensures air is being recycled for maximum efficiency and drain-free operation. The BioSilver air filter inhibits the growth of bacteria, mold and mildew.
Besides the price, an issue that I have with De’Longhi PACAN140HPEWC is that it does not have movable vents so you can’t redirect the air without moving the machine itself.
The Best Evaporative Cooler
When you need something heavy-duty, and if you are in a drier climate, Portacool PAC2KCYC01 is your portable Air Conditioner. It can lower temperatures up to 30-degrees Fahrenheit and works well up to a 700 sq. ft. space. That is pretty chilled!
It is an evaporative cooler, which means that it cools air through the evaporation of water. In other words, it reduces the temperature of dry air through the phase transition of liquid water to water vapor (evaporation).
Keep in mind that evaporative cooling increases humidity and is well suited for dry climates.
The unit is made of a durable one-piece, rust-free, leak-proof molded polyethylene housing.
It is maintenance-free for the most part. However, evaporative coolers require a constant supply of water to wet the pads. There is a convenient water level sight tube and sump drain, as well as a 3/4-inch water hose connection for longer running.
The Best Portable Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier
At 10,000 BTUs, Honeywell easily cools areas up to 500 square feet. Though it’s ideally suited for square footage between 350 and 500.
It’s a 4-in-1 portable unit that combines air conditioner, dehumidifier, fan and heater all into one single unit. It also comes with a full-function remote control for use from across the room.
You’ll love the Digital LED display and precise-feature touch controls. The fan runs 3 speeds and the automatic shutoff timer ranges from 1 to 24 hours.
4 castor wheels let you easily move it around and from room to room.
When you purchase Honeywell, the box comes with everything you need – which includes a flexible exhaust hose and an easy-to-install window venting kit. You can easily remove the window vent when the AC is not being used.
It has fairly powerful air flow at 265 CFM (Cubic Feet Per Minute).
Despite being a fairly heavy-duty portable air conditioner, Honeywell runs pretty quiet. It’s sound output is only 54 dbA.
It’s no bucket, no-drip design uses auto-evaporation system – which lets you continually operate the AC for hours without having to drain water or empty a bucket.
Its 10,000 BTU heat pump will keep you warm during the winter as well. The heat pump covers area up to 400 square feet.
How to install a Portable Air Conditioner
Portable Air Conditioner Maintenance
Read the instructions carefully regarding cleaning and replacing your air conditioner’s filter. Regular cleaning not only helps your filter last longer but also allows the air conditioner unit to work more efficiently. You might have to clean the filter more often if you live in a dusty environment or have pets and kids.
Even though portable air conditioners do not require permanent installation, they do need to vent out the condensed hot air. Most portable air conditioners come with an easy-installation window kit or venting kit.
You want to pay attention to the environment of the room where you are placing your portable air conditioner. A dirty or dusty room has small particles that can find their way into the units motors, eventually clogging them – or causing mechanical or electrical problems. Also, if you live in a very humid area, the air conditioner unit will absorb all the excess moisture thereby producing excess liquid. You might want to consider installing a drain tube so that you don’t have to drain the air conditioner often.
You should make the habit of cleaning the exterior of your portable air conditioner unit with a clean, damp cloth on a regular basis. Be sure to turn off an unplug the unit before you wipe off the exterior. Avoid chemicals and detergents that can be abrasive.
Your portable AC unit will work more efficiently if you keep its condensor coil free of grime, dirt and grease. If the coil is looking grubby, use coil cleaner to keep it nice and clean. Also, if you see any ice build-up on the coil, it needs to be defrosted. Some units come with self-defrosting mechanism that will prevent any frost build-up. But if you keep seeing frost build up, it might indicate an issue with the unit itself – you need to get it checked out.
At the end of the season, be sure to store your portable AC unit properly. Drain all water from the unit and make sure that the unit is completely dry. Pack it in a box and store it in a dry location where water or moisture is not likely to cause any damages.
How Is The Water Handled?
Portable air conditioners remove moisture from air thereby producing water that needs to be drained in some way. Depending on the type of unit you purchase, there are several ways the extra water gets managed.
Common portable air conditioner units have buckets inside them that collect excess water. This bucket needs to be emptied on a regular basis based on manufacturer’s guidelines and your usage. You will have to plug in the stopper or turn the unit off, empty the bucket and then replace it before the cooling process starts again.
Most of the portable AC units come equipped with a drain port where you can attach a drain hose and dump water continually into a drain or some other location.
Some models are equipped with condensation pumps to pump the water out. The pumps force the water through the hose to drain out of the window.
Fully self-evaporative models evaporate all moisture themselves – so there is no need to drain any water out. These units are very popular since their operation is hassle-free and they can be left unattended for a longer period of time.
Our pick for The Best Portable Air Conditioner is Honeywell MM14CHCS. It’s a solid, durable, multi-purpose AC unit that you can use year-round by using it as a heater during the winter months.
If, for some reason Honeywell MM14CHCS does not fit your needs, our next best pick, Whynter ARC-14SH, is an excellent choice.
In this article we have reviewed several top rated portable ac units – from smaller models to evaporative coolers. The information and reviews presented in this guide should help you analyze different models and their features to make the right choice for your needs. Stay cool!
Heading to the beach? Check out our guide to the best folding beach wagons that work great in the sand.
- Whynter Portable Air Conditioners
- Energy Star
- LG Portable Air Conditioners
- Honeywell Portable Air Conditioners
- Frigidaire Portable Air Conditioners
- NewAir Portable Air Conditioners
- Portacool Portable Evaporative Coolers
Frequently Asked Questions
Do all portable air conditioners have to be vented out a window?
Most portable air conditioners do require hot air be vented out through a wall or a window. In order to make sure that the room does not heat up, you must position your portable air conditioner near a window or a wall and install the exhaust hose to vent hot air out of the room.
What “power” portable air conditioner do I need?
The cooling power of an air conditioner is measured in British Thermal Units (BTUs). The size of your area determines how many BTU- air conditioner you will need. You don’t want a very low BTU – since it will be running constantly to get to your comfort zone. If the unit is too large, it will cool the room quickly, but only remove some of the humidity. It is important to get a properly sized unit that will remove humidity effectively as it cools. As a general rule, an air conditioner needs 20 BTU for each square foot of living space. So if your room is 400 square foot, you would need around 8,000 BTU.
Is there a portable air conditioner that doesn’t need venting?
Portable Air Conditioners cannot be without vent because as part of the heat exchange process they need to exhause hot air as they produce cold air. The hot air will cancel the cold air and actually increase the room temperature if it is not vented out of the room.
What size portable AC unit do I need?
As a general rule, an air conditioner needs 20 BTU for each square foot of living space. In order to get the BTU capacity for the portable air conditioner, simply multiply the square footage of your room by 20. So, if your room is 500 sq. ft., you would need around 10,000 BTU.
Do all air conditioners have to be vented?
The most straightforward answer is ‘Yes’. As part of the heat exchange process they need to exhaust hot air as they produce cold air. Portable air conditioners pull in warm air, cool it down, and push out the cold air from the front of the unit. However, the byproduct of this process is hot air, which needs to be vented out of the room.
Does a portable AC use less electricity?
Portable Air Conditioners use significantly less electricity than central air conditioner. They are especially useful if you need to cool only a certain section of the house or just a room. There are energy efficient portable air conditioners which cut down your electricity costs even further.
Is portable AC good?
Why you should choose Portable Air Conditioner over others depends on multiple factors. Portable Air Conditioners are very good at conveniently cooling a certain area where installing traditional air conditioners is a hassle. Now, there are energy efficient portable air conditioners which cut down your electricity costs significantly and are very good at cooling your room down.
What size room will a 12000 BTU air conditioner cool?
A 12,000 BTU air conditioner will cool between 450 sq.ft and 550 sq. ft. of living space. As a general rule, an air conditioner needs 20 BTU for each square foot of living space. A 12,000 BTU unit will be just the right size for a room that is 25 feet long and 20 feet wide (500 sq. ft.).
What size room will a 15000 BTU air conditioner cool?
As a general rule, an air conditioner needs 20 BTU for each square foot of living space. A 15,000 BTU air conditioner will cool between around 750 sq. ft. of living space. For example, a 15,000 BTU unit will be just the right size for a room that is 30 feet long and 25 feet wide (750 sq. ft.).
Is it safe to leave portable air conditioner on all day?
It is technically safe to leave your portable air conditioner on all the time. Most of the new Portable Air Conditioners come with “Smart Energy Save” option that lets you set a desired temperature and automatically shuts itself off once that temperature is reached.
How do portable air conditioners work?
Portable air conditioners remove moisture from air thereby producing water that needs to be drained in some way. Depending on the type of unit you purchase, there are several ways the extra water gets managed. Fully self-evaporative models evaporate all moisture themselves – so there is no need to drain any water out. Some models are equipped with condensation pumps to pump the water out. “Gravity Drain” portable AC units come equipped with a drain port where you can attach a drain hose and dump water continually into a drain or some other location. “Bucket” ACs have an in-built bucket that needs to be emptied on a regular basis based on manufacturer’s guidelines and your usage.