As the cost for manufacturing external hard drives has gone down, so has the cost for purchasing one. The technology has improved so much in the last few years that you can own a 1 Terabyte Hard Drive for a much cheaper price.
Our pick for The Best External 1 Terabyte Hard Drive is: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB Portable External Hard Drive
Table of Contents
- Top Rated External Hard Drives
- WD My Passport Ultra Portable USB 3.0 – 2TB External Hard Drive
- Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB Portable External Hard Drive
- store and access 1tb of photos and files on the go with seagate backup plus slim, an external hard drive for mac and windows
- this portable external hard drive features a minimalist brushed metal enclosure, and is a stylish usb drive
- simply plug this external hard drive for mac and windows into a computer via the included usb 3.0 cable to back up files with a single click or schedule automatic daily, weekly, or monthly backups. reformatting may be required for use with time machine.
- edit, manage, and share photos with a one-year complimentary subscription to mylio create and a two-month membership to adobe creative cloud photography plan
- enjoy long-term peace of mind with the included two-year limited warranty
Seagate Backup Plus is not only slim and shiny, but it looks really cool. The sleek metallic design makes it one of the thinnest portable hard drives around.
It is both Mac and PC compatible – so you can easily transfer files between the two operating systems without any hassle.
You can use the Seagate Mobile Backup to backup anything you want, including your photos and videos, from Android or iOS devices. You have two backup options: scheduled or continuous. You can also sync to your cloud storage service such as Google Drive or Dropbox.
Seagate seems to be very active in the customer community – responding to every feedback customers have and answering their questions and concerns. Whenever a manufacturer is heavily involved in customer communities, I believe it shows that they care and the trust factor goes up very high.
Over 3,700 customers have given it 4.5 stars out of 5. With such raving reviews, you cannot go wrong with Seagate Backup Plus. I highly recommend it.
Top Rated External Hard Drives
External Hard Drive Reviews
WD My Passport Ultra Portable USB 3.0 – 2TB External Hard Drive
- usb 3.0 and usb 2.0 compatibility. fast data transfers
- improve pc performance
- high capacity; compatibility formatted ntfs for windows 10, windows 8.1, windows 7; reformatting may be required for other operating systems; compatibility may vary depending on user’s hardware configuration and operating system
- refer to the pdf attached below in technical specification for the installation. wd elements portable hard drives with usb 3.0 offer reliable, high-capacity storage to go, fast data transfer rates, universal connectivity and massive capacity for value-conscious consumers.
WD My Passport Ultra is also very sleek at only 0.6 inches for the 1TB drive. It’s stylish, cool looking and small and light enough to carry around in your bag.
It comes with WD SmartWare Pro backup software that lets you back up to the drive itself or use Dropbox to back up to the cloud. The backup process is automatic and continuous – so whatever you change gets constantly and instantly backed up.
WD Security software enables you to set password to the drive.
It’s compatible with both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 – but obviously the file transfer speed is faster on the 3.0 devices.
WD My Passport Ultra is mainly geared towards Windows users but you can make it work for Macs as well. It will work just fine on a Mac if you format it “Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) by using Apple’s Disk Utility. It should then will work properly with Apple’s back up software – Time Machine.
Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB Portable External Hard Drive
- usb 3.0-powered portable add-on storage
- easy to use with no software to install
- plug and play operation
- accommodates large digital files with spacious storage capacity
- compact, smudge-resistant design
Toshiba Canvio Basics is another great contender in the external hard drive space. It also offers USB 3.0 plug-and-play operation with no additional software installation required.
It’s compact and smudge resistant. An Internal Shock Sensor and Ramp-Loading Technology helps protect your Canvio drive from accidental drops.
It’s developed primarily for Windows, but as I mentioned above, it can be reformatted to work with Mac OS X. You need to format it “Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)” by using Apple’s Disk Utility to make it work with Time Machine.