Roughing it out does not always mean that we forget our hygiene. No, we do not want to be that kind of person. There may be times that we would have the convenience of having a river nearby for a quick swim or having campsites with toilets and baths.
5 Best-Selling Biodegradable Shampoo for Camping
Table of Contents
- 1. Rinseless Shampoo – No Water Required
- 2. Joshua Tree 8 oz. Shampoo and Bodywash
- 3. Sierra Dawn Campsuds All-Purpose Camp Soap
- 4. Waxhead Shampoo and Bodywash
- 5. Squeeze Pod Travel Shampoo
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Biodegradable Shampoo for Camping
This is not always the case. Going out on the great outdoors is not always unpredictable, and it is best to always be prepared.
This is where no-rinse shampoos come in. But to protect mother nature itself, we have to use the ones that are not harmful to the environment.
- no water required | no running water? no problem. our lightweight formula can be applied directly to dry hair. no need to dilute or mix; use it right from the bottle.
- fast and convenient | for short hair lengths and styles, rinseless shampoo air dries in under ten minutes. for longer hair styles, use a towel or blow dryer to get dry in under a minute!
- no oily residue | you don't want an oily coating or sheen weighing down your hair. rinseless shampoo leaves no oily compounds behind.
- versatile | take rinseless shampoo along on camping trips, road trips, and long flights. take a bottle to outdoor music festivals to look and smell your best even after a day in the summer sun. store a bottle in your family's emergency preparedness bag in case you lose access to clean water.
- made in california | rinseless shampoo is made in california in accordance to the state's strictest manufacturing and environmental standards. keeping your hair clean shouldn't be a dirty business!
Rinseless is a biodegradable shampoo that does exactly what its name suggests. There is no need to rinse after application. It has a light formula that does not need to be diluted.
Rinseless offers a fast and convenient application for hair of all lengths and styles. Its solution also air dries in a matter of minutes. For longer and thicker hair, it is best to use a towel for quicker drying.
This shampoo is suitable to take on camping trips, long-distance road trips, and long-haul flights. Price starts at $10.99 for two bottles of 16oz Rinseless Shampoo.
- biodegradable - safe to use indoors and out as a body wash, shampoo, even to wash your dog, for clothes or dishes at camp
- 8 oz/236 ml size is portable with enough to last!
- hand crafted in michigan with the finest organic and natural ingredients
- lathers up like you expect from any body wash
- jojoba oil to condition skin and hair
For those who do not want to carry a heavy hygiene kit during camping trips, Joshua Tree Shampoo and Bodywash is for you. It is safe for use indoors as well as outdoors in all conditions.
It comes in a portable bottled design and only weighs 8 oz or 236 ml. It is formulated from the finest natural and organic ingredients and is manufactured in Michigan.
Joshua Tree contains Jojoba Oil, which helps its users condition their hair and skin. Prices start at $13.99 for an 8 oz bottle.
- original formula campsuds in durable, reusable, leak-proof nalgene bottles
- smells great too!
- use as a bath soap and shampoo, to wash and spot-clean clothes and to clean anything washable
If you need a camp soap that you can use for any task, then Sierra Dawn Campsuds is the one for you. Sierra Dawn Campsuds is a biodegradable multi-purpose soap concentrate that you can use to wash your face, hands, hair, clothes, and even the dishes.
It can be used on anything washable. It is concentrated, so it needs to be diluted. Only a few drops are needed, and it works well in either hot or cold water. It works with saltwater, too, if needed.
Sierra Dawn Campsuds prices start at $5.95 and are dependent on the variant.
- body wash - unlike common body washes, this castile-style soap leaves a thin layer of uv protective zinc oxide and moisturizing oils on your skin and hair. works great on trouble areas like the top of ears, scalp, and hands. for extended time in the sun, please also use waxhead sunscreen.
- shampoo - this not only adds shine and improves the texture of hair, it helps control dandruff, while the zinc oxide encourages hair growth and adds broad spectrum protection to the scalp of thinning hair. a favorite of golfers, boaters, runners and fishermen. for all hair types (works best on short hair).
- baby soap - new parents love this soap because it cleans, conditions and provides daily sun protection in one easy step for infants. moisture-rich cleaning with organic coconut oil and jojoba oil to nourish sensitive skin and hair.
- non-toxic - only 7 ingredients: water, saponified coconut oil, saponified olive oil, non-nano zinc oxide, organic jojoba oil, guar gum, citrus essential oil. plant-based, vegan, baby safe, biodegradable, cruelty free, silicone free, sulfate free, paraben free, phosphate free. no oxybenzone. no petrochemicals.
- how to use - shake bottle before use. wet face, skin, and hair with water. massage into a white lather over body and scalp. rinse to leave skin soft. pat dry. it’s also great at taking off waxhead sunscreen at the end of the day.
Waxhead Shampoo and Bodywash is your ultimate biodegradable hygiene solution for the great outdoors. It is made out of the finest organic ingredients. It is also formulated with essential oils that would leave your hair and skin healthy and protected.
Waxhead not only cleans and conditions but it also provides UV protection from the sun. It also contains zinc, which helps to fight hair loss and controls dandruff. Waxhead is non-toxic and is safe for daily use. Prices start at $22.50 for an 8 oz Waxhead bottle.
No products found.
Squeeze Pod is a biodegradable and sulfate-free shampoo that comes in 10 single-use pods. It is used best for airline traveling, outdoor activities, and gym use.
It comes in convenient and very portable pods that do not bulk up your hygiene kit. It is free from parabens, sulfates, phosphates, and other harsh chemicals. It is made from premium organic ingredients.
The price for the Squeeze Pod travel shampoo starts at $8.99.
1. Eco Friendly
Make sure that the composition of the products is eco-friendly. Many of these shampoos may contain SLS or Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which is a suspected carcinogen, as well as other unnatural fragrances and preservatives. We may not notice this in our day-to-day household items, but these chemicals are harmful to the wilderness.
Organic shampoos are quite pricey since they are made out of premium materials. Always double-check those items that you find that are below the normal price range. There may be cheaper ones in the market, but they might be due to the use of synthetic ingredients in their composition.
3. Reusable/Biodegradable Containers
The saying “Leave only footsteps” means that we also have to minimize our waste. But if it is inevitable, make sure that it comes in biodegradable plastic.
4. Multi-Purpose Use
Some products are multi-purpose and can be used for various camping tasks. These may come a bit pricier than normal but is the most convenient to use on trips.
Check if the products are accredited for use by the right government agencies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Being biodegradable means that a certain product can be broken down by living things such as bacteria and fungi in the environment.
Not all shampoos are biodegradable. Most of those that we use at home contain synthetic materials that do not degrade within a shorter period once thrown away.
Some shampoos may come from organic materials but may still contain sulfates. Sulfates are not biodegradable, which makes them toxic to the environment.
In the absence of the right kind of shampoo, you can dilute vegetable-based shampoos in equal parts to further decrease the traces of sulfates. A few drops of essential oil can also be mixed to add more nutrients, which protects your hair and skin.
Plant-based shampoos are by far the safest since it comes from biodegradable organic materials. Shampoos must be free from toxins and traces of sulfates for them to be considered eco-friendly.
Choosing the right shampoo is a matter of educating one’s self. We must not be content with simply reading what is written on the label.