When you are going out to camp with your friends or family, you have to bring a lot of things, especially if you are going to be away from home for a few days. You’ll need a tent, sleeping bags, camping chairs, generators, and flashlights, among many other things. Of course, you will also need water. Sure, you can bring some from home, but the amount you can take with you can only last so long, particularly if you are going to be camping for a while or you are in the company of several other people.
Fortunately, water is naturally occurring in nature so chances are, you will not have a hard time finding a water source for all your needs, but the problem is that you may not be certain about its purity. This is when a portable water filter shall come in handy.
5 Best-Selling Water Filter for Camping
Table of Contents
Reviews of Top Rated Water Filter for Camping
- removes bacteria & parasites: the microfiltration membrane removes 99.999999% of waterborne bacteria (including e. coli and salmonella), and 99.999% of waterborne parasites (including giardia and cryptosporidium)
- removes microplastics: removes the smallest microplastics found in the environment (down to 1 micron), and reduces turbidity down to 0.2 microns
- rigorous testing: all claims are verified with laboratories using standard testing protocols set by the us epa, nsf, astm for water purifiers
Ever pictured a magic straw that removes impurities from water right as you are drinking? Well guess what, apparently, such straw already exists and it is called the Lifestraw Personal Water Filter.
This water filter is so easy to use. All you have to do is dip in the water, and sip like you normally would as if you were using a regular straw! Because of this, you can literally drink from puddles with this filter and you don’t have to worry about a thing because it removes bacteria, parasites, and even microplastics from water. In addition to that, it helps in reducing the turbidity of the water.
What is even great about this water filter is that it has been of great help in third world countries wherein clean, potable water is scarce. It is free of chemicals and it doesn’t require any sort of battery to work!
It’s also light--it weighs only 2oz--and it is very easy to store, so it wouldn’t be a burden for you to carry around.
- high-capacity, gravity-fed, hollow-fiber water filter system is ideal for group and family camping, outdoor adventures, and emergency preparedness
- meets all epa/nsf guidelines for removal of 99.9999% of bacteria and 99.9% of protozoa, including giardia, cryptosporidium, e. coli, salmonella, cholera
- no pumping required; reservoir fills easily and hangs from a tree to deliver four liters of filtered water for cooking and washing in 2.5 minutes
If you are camping with quite a number of people and you want to filter a larger amount of water at once, then go get this portable water filter system from Platypus. It removes all sorts of bacteria and protozoa, and it can filter up to 1,500 gallons of water.
Basically, it comes with two bags linked with a tube. The first bag contains the dirty water, while the other contains the clean, purified water. You don’t need any battery for this to work since it takes advantage of the force of gravity, so it is going to be really useful if you are going to be away from home for a while.
If you are worried how you’re going to hold it up for so long, well, don’t worry, because hanging the bags up a nearby tree will do!
With this filter, you can get up to 4 liters of clean water in as fast as 2.5 minutes.
- proven protection against bacteria and protozoan cysts down to 0.2 micron with pleated glass-fiber filter media
- activated carbon in the core of the filter improves the taste and reduces chemicals in your drinking water
- the field cleanable filter protector screen extends the life of the cartridge in challenging conditions
This portable water filter by Katadyn has a transparent design that allows you to see the filtration process with your own eyes.
This water filter works like a pump, but it does way more than that. As the water is being pumped through this tool, it removes bacteria and protozoans--even those as small as 0.2 microns--so that if ever you need some water during your camping trip, all you have to do is rush to a stream or a river and let the water pass through it to make it safe for consumption!
This filter has activated carbon, to improve the taste of the water you drink and help in reducing chemicals that may be present in the water. Moreover, the filter protector screen can be easily cleaned--you don’t have to replace it every now and then--so this tool is sure to last for a long time.
- lightweight, easy to use portable water filter removes harmful bacteria, protozoa, cysts, sediment, and 100% of microplastics; perfect for outdoor adventures, travel, or emergency preparedness
- high-performance 0.1 micron absolute inline filter fits in the palm of your hand and weighs just 2 ounces; 100% of micro squeeze units individually tested three times to performance standards by sawyer
- built-in and removable flip top sports cap; spray water straight into mouth or bottle from included pouch; also fits standard water bottles with 28 mm threads
This portable filtration set from Sawyer Products has a simple setup, but nevertheless, it does the job well.
You just have to put some water into the squeeze pouch, attach the filter onto the pouch and drink through the removal push/pull cap. In addition to that, there are several other ways you can use this system (you’d have to purchase other attachments separately, of course), but anyway, this system is really very easy to use and highly versatile.
The pores of the filter in this product are 0.1 micron in size, so you can be certain that any liquid that passes through this tool ends up being free of bacteria, microplastics, and protozoa that may be harmful to your health.
- pocket-sized lightweight water filter cleans water on-the-go for hiking, camping, traveling, and emergency preparedness
- drink directly from the source or fill a water bottle or hydration pack; easy one-handed operation filters one liter in 60 seconds
- ultralight (5 ounces) and compact (6x2.4 inches), it fits in a stash pocket for trail runners, hikers, and mountain bikers
You definitely do not want to bring a filter that is heavy or bulky if you’re going to go camping. Fortunately, this water filter is pocket-sized and lightweight. In addition to that, it’s also compact, so you can also just fold it up so that it does not take up too much space in your bag.
Despite its size and portability, it does a pretty excellent job. In just one minute, you can get a liter of clean water with this handy water filter. It works via a squeeze mechanism, but you can definitely use it with just one hand without having a hard time.
This water filter can eliminate contaminants in as many as 2,000 liters of water.
- reusable lifestraw go bpa-free water bottle filters water while drinking; great for travel, backpacking, camping, and emergency kits
- award-winning lifestraw hollow fiber membrane water filter removes bacteria and protozoa from lakes, streams to ensure safe, clean drinking water
- 2-stage activated carbon filter reduces odor, chlorine and leaves zero aftertaste
If you know you’re going to be quite far from a water source and you want to clean water that you had previously collected and bring it along, this water bottle is the perfect choice for you.
It’s basically the same as the LifeStraw Personal Water Filter--it removes bacteria and parasites without the use of chemicals or batteries--however, this comes with a leak-proof water bottle that is made of BPA-free Tritan. It has activated carbon as well, to eliminate other contaminants and ensure that the filtered water does not have any unwanted odors or aftertaste.
It comes in different colors, and you can also choose between the 22oz and 1 liter variant.
Water is always essential. This is particularly true if you are going to go out camping. And if you want to free yourself from the burden of lugging around a large jug of water during your trip, you can just get some water to drink from a natural water source that you find near your campsite.
If you are doubtful about the cleanliness of the water there, then use a water filter. Water filters come in different types, shapes, and colors, and they do a pretty great job at eliminating contaminants from water so that you can make the most out of your camping trip.