Best Outdoor Storage Container
Are you a fan of the summer? With the summer weather lurking, we’re all beginning to think about barbeques, and enjoying the lovely weather in our own gardens. Kids in the pool or the sandbox, feet up, and a nice cold drink to cool you down. One thing I always forget about, is something to store some of our outdoor belongings in. I’m not talking about a shed, where sometimes it’s damp and smelly and may ruin some of the things we would like to put in there like seat cushions or picnic blankets. I’m talking about an outdoor storage container which not only “stores” what you desire, but keeps it in tip-top condition and often looks rather stylish in the garden.
I did some research and I’ve found the best ones out there on the market, and I’ve compiled this list to help you decide which one you would like to buy!
Things you need to consider when buying an outdoor storage container are things like where you live and what weather conditions you live in, in the case of stormy wet weather, a container made of a flimsy material would not work well. You need to think about budget, how much you want to actually spend vs how much you need to spend to get the right container for you. You also need to consider whether you’re bothered about the look of the container, or whether you would like it to blend in with your garden. Seating is also a great feature with storage containers, do you like the idea of that too? Let’s see what we have and hopefully I can help you with your decision.
The first thing that caught my eye about this storage container from Keter is the fact that it said it was made out of plastic, but in the picture it looks like it’s made from wood. One of the most important things in my opinion is that it should look good, because who would want something that sticks out like a sore thumb in their garden? You want it to look stylish, and fit with the theme of your garden. Wood fits pretty much anywhere (even if it is only a wood-look), because wood is very outdoorsy, and fits in with surrounding wildlife and greenery.
The container is also lockable. Another key thing that I think everyone should be looking for, so that when you leave the house you don’t have to worry about your belongings being stolen by anyone, or even a wild animal somehow making their way in there and making themselves cosy with your deckchair cushions. It doesn’t come with a padlock though, but even the most trustworthy padlocks aren’t expensive.
Talking of expensive this is isn’t the cheapest container out there, but you do pay for what you get!
Some more features of this deck box are:
- It’s an all weather box, meaning you don’t have to bring it inside during the winter season. It’s been protected with UV protection too, to prevent fading.
- It’s recyclable, not that you’d want to do that for a very long time, but when the time does come, you know that it is earth friendly.
- It seats two, holding up to 770 lbs in weight on the flat surface. You could even pop one of your deck chair cushions on the top for extra comfort.
- It has an automatic opening mechanism, opening easily so that clearing away the garden is an even easier task.
- It’s vented for air circulation, which will stop any of your belongings becoming damp in the winter months and then beginning to smell!
- It holds up to a massive 150 gallons.
- It looks great, will fit into most gardens and not stick out
- It can be turned into a seat
- Automatic opening mechanism
- Doesn’t come with padlock, but it comes with the ability to be locked.
- Some customer reviews on Amazon state that it’s rather flimsy, but then again some of the reviews say the complete opposite.
- Not the cheapest out there, but definitely won’t break the bank.
My favorite feature of this container from Suncast is the top of it. It looks like an expensive mini home bar cupboard that you can have outside. It would look brilliant between two deckchairs with a couple of drinks and some snacks on. Also when it’s not in use it could be used to display something decorative in your garden (once everything is inside of course). It can also be used as an extra seat when you have your family and friends over! It holds over 210 lbs in weight, as one customer left a review saying that it held their weight with ease.
It’s made from a heavy duty plastic, but looks stylish as it’s made to look like a wicker table which will slot into the theme of most gardens with ease. It’s not the largest of containers, holding up to 22 gallons, but if you have a small garden, or live in an apartment with a balcony this would be perfect for you. One major advantage of it’s size means it comes in very cheap and also it’s super easy to put together.
It doesn’t come with a “lock” but it does come with a catch that will keep the lid in place to deter wildlife from making their way into your belongings. It’s not a glaringly obvious container, so the fact it doesn’t have a lock shouldn’t be too much of a problem as potential thieves may not even realise it’s a storage container.
A few other great features are:
- It would look great indoors as well as outdoors
- It’s a stay dry design
- It’s super lightweight so easy to move when you want
- Easy to clean when the wintery weather does hit.
- Can be used as a table or a seat
- Wicker design
- Very affordable
- No locking feature, but it does have a catch.
- Some reviewers have said that mice are able to get into the box, but I think that if the box isn’t set up against the house then this shouldn’t be an issue.
This storage container by Lifetime made it onto the list not because of it’s looks, but because of pure functionality of it. As stated in the title it’s an extra large container, holding up to 130 gallons, meaning you could put deck chairs, cushions, deflated pools and even small barbeques inside. It also comes with a 10 year guarantee, so if anything goes wrong with it you’re able to replace it for free within the first 10 years.
It’s not the best looking container on the market, but it doesn’t look awful either. You can choose which colour you would like out of tan,black and brown. They’re all fairly neutral colours so you may even be able to fit it in with the theme of your garden.
It has a lockable lid, ensuring that everything stays safe inside and it’s made from high-density polyethylene and has weather resistant heavy duty steel hinges. In fact the whole container is weather resistant, so you wouldn’t have to bring it inside during the winter months. It also comes with a spring hinge lid that enables the container to open over 90 degrees, and because of the hinges it will never slam shut, meaning the kids (and your own) fingers are safe from damage.
The container can also be used as a bench thanks to it’s ultra-durable construction, it weighs 55 lbs so it definitely won’t move. Although it may be a struggle to move it if you decide to. Price wise it’s not the most expensive item on my list, but it does depend on how much you’re willing to spend!
Some other great features are:
- It’s easy to assemble, even if you’re not a natural born handyman
- The versatile design of the box allows you to install dividers or even shelving if you desire.
- Water resistant
- Extra large container
- Lockable lid
- Sturdy construction, you can use as a seat.
- All weather resistant
- Ability to install dividers or shelves
- Not the best looking storage container
- Not that cheap, but you do get what you pay for
- 10 year guarantee does state that it does not cover “damage caused by vandalism, rusting, “acts of nature” or any other event beyond the control of the manufacturer.”
This Rubbermaid storage container caught my eye because of the fact that you can choose whether you would like a regular, large or extra large version of the box. The regular box comes in at 10 cubic feet, the large at 12 cubic feet and the extra large at a massive 16 cubic feet. Of course the smallest one is the cheapest, but I like the fact you can decide which size suits your needs the best.
The regular and large containers can hold 2 adults seated on the top and the extra large can hold up to 3 adults! It’s a lockable container, but the padlock isn’t included. However, if you buy it from Amazon, when you come to check out, it gives you the opportunity to buy one. When it comes to appearance, it’s not brilliant looking but if you’re looking mainly at the use over looks then this would be perfect for you.
It’s all weather resistant, though some reviewers have recommended not just placing it on the grass in case of floods, but instead to have it on a small platform. This is because the sides are snap together and some customers have experienced water getting into their container, but this may be due to incorrect assembly of the container.
Some other useful features are:
- Easily assembled with common household tools
- Durable double wall construction which resists leaks, dents, and moisture.
- Won’t rust or deteriorate like metal or wood furniture
- Not too heavy weighing 32 lbs
- Gives you the option to choose what size you would like
- Provides more seating
- All weather resistant
- Easy to assemble
- Not an attractive piece of garden furniture
- If not assembled properly the container seems to not live up to it’s “weather resistant” claim.
Bulldog Commerce are an Amazon exclusive seller that have created this absolutely stunning storage container. This is also made out of plastic, but looks like it’s made out of wood. I genuinely thought it was made out of wood until I read further down, it’s that well designed. It’s super easy to put together, taking two people around 20 minute to assemble, and can fit a whopping 120 gallons of things into it!
It can also seat two adults comfortably, three at a push or a child in between with still loads of room to spare. It’s a UV protected construction so that it maintains it’s fabulous looks and stays looking like it’s brand new.
This storage container is also lockable, it doesn’t come with a padlock but again Amazon give you the option to add one to cart when you purchase this. It comes with a soft-close lid, keeping all fingers safe from any snap shutting and it’s easy to open thanks to the dual pistons. The plastic is weather-proof so you don’t have to worry about your belongings becoming damaged and thanks to the option for a lock you don’t have to worry about animals getting inside, or even worse, thieves!
Some other fantastic features are:
- For what you get, it’s a really good price
- Can be used inside or outside, because it’s that stylish
- Has handy handles on the side so it can be moved around easily
- It looks amazing
- It’s lockable
- Handles on the side for easy moving
- UV protected construction to keep it looking new as time goes on
- Can easily sit two adults
- 120 gallons
- It has nothing less than 4 stars on Amazon right now.
- If your budget it quite low, this may be out of your price range
IRIS USA have created this unusual container for the garden. By unusual I mean it is not what you would probably normally look for when looking for an outside storage container. It looks a lot like a recycle bin, but you’re able to see the contents inside.
It comes with wheels so that it’s easily moved, but these wheels are not necessary to the design so if you want a container that stays put you can remove the wheels. It’s airtight, with a snap-shut latch ensures that anything you keep inside will be safe from all weather conditions.
Now, looks wise it’s probably not something I’d want displayed in my garden permanently, but with the wheels it can easily be wheeled into the garage once everything is packed away inside. It holds up to 60 lbs of things inside so it’s not the biggest container by far, but if all you want to use it for is packing the kids toys away and a few deck chair cushions this would be perfect.
Many reviewers have used it to keep things like bird seed and feeders inside so that they can be locked away at night safely, without any mice or rats getting to the food. It could even be used for dog or cat food. Regardless of what you decide to use it for, it will be airtight and weather safe outside.
Some other great features are:
- It’s easy to clean
- It’s very affordable
- Translucent sides make it easy to see what’s inside
- Comes with wheels
- Not an attractive storage container
- It’s not lockable
This storage container from Best Choice Products is beautifully made, with a steel frame and a UV resistant wicker material. This container will look truly beautiful in your garden and is perfect for storing deck chair cushions, pool accessories and toys. Capacity isn’t listed on the product description but the dimensions are 40 x 20 x 22 inches which is quite big!
The bottom of this storage container only has a few steel poles, which shows it’s only designed for being outside in the summer, or at least not seasons where you may expect floods. Putting the container on a small platform or adding a plywood bottom may fix this little problem. The wicker material does claim to be weather-proof, but without a bottom this may not be completely true.
Included in the design is a hydraulic opening lid, making it nice and easy for the user to pack away garden contents. Without any contents in, it only weighs 31 lbs so it will be nice and easy to move at your convenience. However, nothing in the product description mentions that it’s lockable, so you may not be able to leave it outside.
Some other great features are:
- It’s plastic wicker, so it will be more resistant to weather
- Comes in a deep brown colour, matching surrounding trees
- Doubles as a seat
- Comes in at a good price
- Very attractive container
- Large dimensions
- Steel frame, you know it’s going to be sturdy
- Weatherproof plastic wicker
- No “bottom”, meaning water or animals could easily get inside unless you make your own one.
- Not very simple to assemble
- Not lockable.
Patiopost are a seller exclusive to Amazon and have created this stunning wicker storage container. Made from a blend of waterproof wicker and a polyester mesh inside, your things are sure to be kept dry on the inside.
It comes in a stylish slate grey or a deep multi brown, so you can decide which colour best suits your style, and garden. It also has useful handles on the side, and wheels for easy movement around your garden. So even when the container is full it will be easy to move and not hurt your back!
This container comes with a hinged top lid for easy opening, and a chain to stop the lid from opening too far backwards. The aluminium frame ensures that the frame is nice and sturdy, and can hold what you decide with ease.
Some great features of this container are:
- The mesh inside is removable and can be washed.
- Doubles up as a seat.
- Would be suitable to use inside if desired
- Not the cheapest on the market, but I think it’s well worth it for what you get.
- Very attractive storage container
- Handles on the side and wheels for easy moving
- Choice of colours
- Doesn’t have a lock
- Quite expensive, but it should be expected for good quality
This petite storage container from Trinity will look stylish in any garden. Unlike the others, the lid comes off completely, but does come with an easy one-touch opening and quiet closing. This is also safe for if you have little children around, they won’t catch their fingers!
It comes with a choice of three colours, slate grey, amber brown and espresso brown, so you’re able to choose from an even wider range of colours to best suit your taste! This container is a very fair size at 70 gallons, perfect for those that don’t have a very large garden, or even just a balcony that they need something to store things in.
This container is made out of 100% polystyrene and also resists dents, stains, and rust and it is UV stabilized to help reduce fading, making it look newer for longer.
A few other features include:
- It’s corrosion resistant
- It doubles up as a seat
- It’s quite pricy but with the features mentioned it may be something you want to invest in.
- Looks great
- Range of colours
- Petite, so good for those with small gardens/balconies
- Soft closing to prevent anyone trapping their fingers
- No ability to lock
- Quite expensive
This cute little storage container or “ottoman” has been created by Modway and I think it’s absolutely delightful. It’s looks invite you to want to sit on the top of it with the plush colour and the thick cushion on the top.
It comes pre assembled so no fiddly and irritating time needs to be spent putting it together, you can literally unpack and go. The covers are completely machine washable, but it is also water and UV resistant, so if it does get caught in the rain, it’s not going to be a massive problem! The frame is made from powder coated aluminium and the “wicker” is made from synthetic rattan weave, giving a luxurious, yet durable feel.
There isn’t anything in the product description stating how much it holds but the dimensions are 25″L x 25″W x 12 – 17.5″H Seat Dimensions: 25″L x 25″W x 17.5″H Base Dimensions: 25″L x 25″W, so it certainly isn’t small, but it’s not that large either. This ottoman would be perfect for those who need to complete a garden set or those who need an extra seat, obviously all with the added bonus of storage inside too!
Other features you may love:
- It only weighs 19 lbs
- Ships within 48 hours
- You can also buy the whole set if desired which includes a sofa and chairs.
- Very stylish
- Plush colour and cushion
- Covers machine washable, yet also UV and water resistant
- Well built
- Comes pre assembled
- Not that large by the looks of the dimensions
- Rather expensive for just an ottoman
So there we have it, a list of the best available storage containers for you garden that are on offer right now.
My personal favorite was the Patio Seat Storage Box and Bench. Not just because it’s an absolutely beautiful piece of outdoor furniture, but because of the many features it includes. It will blend nicely into pretty much any garden, it’s got a large capacity, it’s watertight and UV treated, you can lock it so all of your belongings are safe and it’s at a really reasonable price.
Buyers guide for outdoor storage containers
Is there anything in particular I should be looking for in a storage container?
As previously mentioned, I think looks are a bit part of choosing a storage container. You also need to think about what you’re storing in there, the amount or whether you’d like to use it as a seat too, for example, and buy accordingly.
What’s the best material to go for?
Plastic. We all know plastic is waterproof, and if you go for one with a lock on it too then you’re more likely to keep all of your stuff inside nice and dry. Although all of these containers say they are waterproof if it’s made of anything or consists of anything with porous material, even if it’s treated you can’t be guaranteed to always have your belongings safe from water.
What sort of price am I looking at to buy the best kind of container?
It all depends on what size you need and also what material it is made of. If you’re looking for a really sturdy plastic storage container that is 120 gallons, you’re going to be looking on spending at least $100 to get something that will actually be worth keeping.
My garden is susceptible to flooding, how can I ensure no water will get into my container or even float away?
My best advice is to set it on a platform, or in the driest area of your garden. I’d also definitely go for the most waterproof, airtight container that you can find, just to ensure your belongings are safe.
So that’s a lot of information to take in and process, but I hope that this list has made buying an outdoor storage container that little bit easier for you. Remember, think about what you need out of it, weather conditions where you live and also your budget and I’m sure you’ll easily find a container you’ll love!
Recommended Articles For You
- 1). Keter Rockwood Plastic Deck Storage Container
- 2). Suncast Outdoor Storage Container
- 3) Lifetime Extra Large Storage Container
- 4) Rubbermaid Deck Box
- 5) Patio Seat Bench and Storage box
- 6) IRIS Airtight Container
- 7) Best Choice Products Storage Container
- 8) Patiopost Waterproof Patio Container
- 10) Modway Convene Outdoor Patio Fabric Ottoman
- Buyers guide for outdoor storage containers