As the technology all around us has evolved, so have the thermostats. Today’s household thermostats are advanced enough to learn and know your desired temperature range and are smart enough to tone things down when you are not around to save on bills.
10 Best Selling Household Thermostat
Our pick for the best household thermostat is Nest Learning Thermostat.
- no more programming: with auto-schedule, the google nest learning thermostat learns from you and programs itself..product note: you can also check your system’s compatibility before purchasing a nest thermostat with our online nest compatibility checker on the google nest support page
- home/away assist: don't heat or cool an empty home. home/away assist adjusts the temperature after you leave.
- remote control: control your thermostat from anywhere using the nest app.
- know more, save more check your energy history to see how much energy you use and why.
- look for the leaf: the nest leaf appears when you choose a temperature that saves energy.
Nest Learning Thermostat is very smart. It remembers the temperature ranges you prefer and programs itself for that range. It helps save energy by automatically turning itself down when you are not in the house. It’s Wi-Fi enabled – that means you can remotely access and control it using your smartphone, tablet or laptop.
One of the main distinguishing features of Nest is that it automatically adapts with the changes in your lifestyle, ambient temperature and the seasons. As you turn the temperature up and down to comfortable settings, it learns what keeps you comfortable and creates a custom temperature schedule for your home.
It’s motion and activity sensors allow it to automatically detect when nobody is home and turn the temperature down.
The “Airwave” feature measures the humidity level inside your home and turns the AC on only when necessary – saving more on your cooling costs while keeping the house cool and comfortable.
Perhaps the most helpful feature of Nest Learning Thermostat is that it lets you see your entire month’s energy use history with Nest Energy Report. Detailed Energy History is available on the Mobile and Web app for the last 10 days. Being informed and educated helps you save even more.
Installation is a breeze and can be done under 30 minutes, whether you want to do it yourself of get a professional help.
It’s currently on sale (see price). While the price is a little bit on the higher end among thermostats, you will soon find that it’s savings far outweigh the initial cost. Plus you’ll get to show off how cool it looks.
Intro to Thermostats
A thermostat is a device that controls the heating and cooling system in your home. Almost all homes today have a thermostat of some kind. If you’re interested in choosing a home thermostat, there are a few things to know about them before getting started.
First, you’ll need to make sure that the thermostat you choose is compatible with your home’s heating and cooling systems. The most common types of systems are central heat or central heat and air which may be 24V, oil, gas, or electric. Or, you may have other system such as an electric baseboard, heat pump, fire place, or floor/wall furnace. Determine this before choosing your thermostat.
You might be interested in our guide to the best humidifier with demineralization filter.
Types of Thermostats
This is a type of thermostat which are programmable but it doesn’t actually require you to program them. As their name suggests, they learn as you use them and create a heating/cooling profile that’s based on your preferences. They can learn to turn themselves down when you’re away, guide your home to more energy-efficient settings and also provide you with monthly energy reports. Also known as a smart thermostat, they connect to your home Wi-Fi network. You can easily monitor and set your temperature and also manage your home removely from any connected device. The only disadvantage to this thermostat is that it does take some time to set up and learn the system. However, once in use, smart learning thermostats are the best home thermostats for efficiency and ease-of-use. Nest is a great example of a learning thermostat.
Remote Energy Management
This is a type of thermostat which allows users to set up, program, and monitor their heating and cooling systems from any connected device including a computer, smartphone, and tablet. The thermostat connects to your home broadband network so you can access it from anywhere. While this thermostat does not have as many functions as the one mentioned above, the ability to access and control remotely makes it a good option. Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat is an example of a remotely controllable thermostat.
This is a type of thermostat which makes an efficient use of your home system by automatically adjusting to the set temperature throughout the day. You program your preferred temperature at different times of the day and night and the thermostat does the rest of the work. If desired, you can override the system temporarily to raise or lower the temperature. While a programmable thermostat is a good option, it will have to be changed regularly and may not be as efficient as other types. Honeywell RTH2300B1012 is a 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat – it lets you set one program for 5 weekdays and a separate program for weekends.
For those who prefer to manually control the settings on their thermostat, this is an option which allows for that. It features an LCD touch screen making it slightly easier to use than the mechanical thermostat. The primary disadvantage to this thermostat is that any changes have to be made manually. Additionally, this system cannot be accessed remotely and is not very flexible or energy efficient. Here is an example of Digital Non-Programmable Thermostat: Honeywell RTH111B1016
Manual thermostat is rarely sold anymore, but may be found at some stores. Like its name suggests, you control the settings manually. Usually, there is a dial or knob on the thermostat which is adjusted manually to reach the desired temperature. This thermostat is best for people wo are home often and prefer a fixed temperature. However, it is not considered an energy efficient model. Honeywell CT87N1001 is an example of a manual thermostat.
As you can see, there are many types of thermostats available on the market. Depending on you preference and/or prior experience, you may prefer one type over the other. However, if you want to get a thermostat that is smart, takes care of adjusting temperatures on its own, helps you save on energy bills, lets you access it remotely and at the same time looks really cool, Nest Learning Thermostat – 3rd Generation is the best one out there.
10 Top Rated Household Thermostats
- endless on-demand hot water; consistent hot water when you need it that never runs out; continuously monitored water temperature and controlled flow rates ensure efficiency and consistent performance within 1 degree of selected temperature
- save space; ecosmart tankless electric water heaters are 90% smaller than traditional tank heaters; may be installed on wall or at point of use; dimensions 17 x 17 x 3.75 inches
- save energy; ecosmart tankless electric water heaters are 99% thermal energy efficient; only heats water when called unlike a tank heater that maintains water temperature even when not being used. save up to 50% in water heating costs according to the department of energy
- ecosmart eco 27 sizing; refer to the sizing map. requires 3x40 amp double pole breaker, 27-kilowatt tankless electric water heater ideal for providing hot water for whole home applications; provides between 2.7 and 6.5 gallons-per-minute depending on the inlet water temperature; refer to the sizing guide to select the proper solution
- warranty and certifications; limited lifetime warranty on electronics, exchanger and element; ul-499 certified; etl listed
- works with alexa for voice control (hub required, alexa device and hub sold separately)
- touch screen keypad and lock cylinder on exterior and thumb turn interior. door thickness range is 1.37 to 1.75 standard
- stores up to 30 personalized user codes at a time
- built in alarm with 3 alert settings. battery uses 4 aa alkaline batteries. exterior dimensions 3 x 5 x 1 inches. interior dimensions 3 x 8 x 2 inches
- z wave technology connects to your home automation system and lets you lock or unlock your door remotely via the web or smartphone.volts:6 v
- works with alexa for voice control (alexa device sold separately).
- your ecobee3 lite powers on through the c and rc terminal. be sure to insert your r/rc/rh wire in the rc terminal of your ecobee3 lite thermostat.
- fast, easy installation - install your ecobee in 30 minutes or less. the step-by-step guide on our mobile app and free expert support make it easy.smarter comfort - your ecobee understands your local weather, schedule and desired comfort settings, to ensure your home is at the right temperature at the right time
- personal energy reports - get free monthly reports on how much energy you’ve saved and tips on how you can save even more
- peace of mind - your ecobee monitors your heating and cooling systems and alerts you if it senses that something isn’t working properly. refer userguide before use
- smart, really smart - intuitively understands when to turn on your heating or cooling equipment based on your home's unique energy profile, the weather outside, and thousands of other data points to make sure you're comfortable at all times
- knows you have a life - senses whether anyone's home and which rooms are occupied, delivering comfort when you're at home and saving you energy and money when you're not
- lowers your energy bills - ecobee saves homeowners an average of 23% annually, paying for itself in energy savings
- ✓ simple to use: pins up means timer is off. pins down means timer is on. please note that your timer’s pins will come pressed down new of the box. pull the pins up to begin setting your timer
- ✓ automate your home or office: turn on and off lamps, small appliances, christmas trees, and other electrical devices with a handy timer
- ✓ design your own schedule: with up to 24 on and off settings per day, you can program your devices to turn on/off in as small as 30-minute intervals. settings will repeat daily once programmed and plugged-in
- ✓ convenient and compatible: each package includes 2 mini outlet timers that can be used in 2 locations.this light timer is compatible with compact fluorescent lighting, led bulbs, and most small appliances
- ✓ ratings: 125-volt, 60 hz./15-amp, 1875-watt resistive/8-amp, 1000-watt tungsten/5 amp ballast
- air comfort indicator: this humidity meter with humidity level icon indicates air conditions - dry/comfort/wet, allowing this humidity sensor to ensure you’re always aware of changes to your home/household with just a quick glance
- high accuracy & quick refresh rate: this inside thermometer features a high accuracy of ±2–3%rh and ±1°f, making it ideal for measuring fluctuating readings like those found in a greenhouse; data measurements are updated every 10 seconds to give you the latest updates on your environment
- high & low records: this hygrometer digital thermometer displays high/low temperature and humidity levels to allow you to make proper comparisons using your home’s data
- healthier home & environment: this thermometer hygrometer with temperature and humidity monitor ensures proper indoor humidity that achieves important health benefits for skin and allergen; can also serve as a refrigerator thermometer, freezer thermometer, reptile thermometer, soil thermometer, humidor hygrometer, cigar hygrometer, and more
- practical design: this indoor room thermometer features a tabletop stand and a magnetic back, place the temperature monitor on your counter or fridge; °f/°c selector; powered by an aaa battery (included)
- one 4-pack of lithium cr2 3-volt battery with 800mah capacity - these batteries are different than cr123a and not interchangeable
- ideal for digital cameras, flashlights, night-vision goggles, calculators, memory backup, and more
- reliable in both high and low temperature environments
- ships in certified frustration-free packaging
- note: these batteries are not rechargeable. for reusable options, check out amazon basics rechargeable batteries
- face icon comfort indicator: humidity temperature gauge features face icons to indicate dry/comfort/wet air conditions, quickly informs you how to adjust your humidifier or dehumidifier to achieve optimal comfort
- highly accurate sensors: this temperature humidity sensor features a high accuracy of ±1°f/°c and ±2%-3%rh, making it ideal for measuring dynamic environments like greenhouses
- fast refresh rate: this digital indoor thermometer refreshes every 10 seconds to provide the latest updates for temperature and humidity readings
- compact display with large digits: this digital thermometer indoor outdoor features a compact lcd display with large bold digits, allowing you to read the room thermometer indoor from any angle and distance
- multiple placement options: this humidistat has 3 placement options - tabletop stand / magnetic back / hanging mount, place the wall thermometer anywhere you wish such as living room, baby room, kitchen, greenhouse, guitar room, office or cellar
- in the box: 12-pack of 1.5 volt aa alkaline batteries for reliable performance across a wide range of devices
- device compatible: ideal battery for game controllers, toys, flashlights, digital cameras, clocks, and more
- designed to last: 10-year leak-free shelf life; store for emergencies or use right away
- easy use & storage: ships in certified frustration-free packaging; easy to open and store extras for later use
- single use: these batteries are not rechargeable; for rechargeable options, check out amazon basics rechargeable batteries
- convenient and practical: our refrigerator thermometer is suitable for traditional refrigerators, freezers, insulated boxes, etc. it has a large dial with clear blue and red area indication on the surface of the fridge thermometer, making it easier for you to read the temperature.
- temperature range: refrigerator thermometer measures refrigerator temperature -20~80 °f/ -30~30 °c, meeting different requirements and requirements. clear reading scale helps you measure food stored at the right temperature to ensure safety.
- exquisite design: the refrigerator thermometer uses a hook type panel design, can be hung or placed in different positions, reading instant with the mechanical design, no need for battery power with our freezer thermometer.
- durable material: refrigerator thermometer is made of stainless steel material, not easy to break, long life, durable, easy to clean structure and glass protective lens, very suitable for use in the refrigerator and freezer.
- what you get: 2 x pecula refrigerator thermometer and our 7*24 friendly customer service for peace of mind.