The Best Household Thermostat
As the technology all around us has evolved, so have the thermostats. Today’s thermostats are advanced enough to learn and know your desired temperature range and are smart enough to tone things down when you are not around to save on bills.
Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Programmable
Honeywell Home Wi-fi Smart Color Programmable Thermostat, Alexa Enabled, (rth9585wf1004)
Nest (T3007ES) Learning Control
Nest (t3007es) Learning Thermostat, Easy Temperature Control For Every Room In Your House, Stainless Steel (third Generation), Works With Alexa
Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi
Emerson Sensi Wi-fi Smart Thermostat For Smart Home, Diy Version, Works With Alexa, Energy Star Certified
Ecobee SmartThermostat With
Ecobee Smartthermostat With Voice Control, Black
Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat Built-In
Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat With Built-in Alexa, Room Sensor Included
Emerson Sensi Touch Display,
Emerson Sensi Touch Wi-fi Smart Thermostat With Touchscreen Color Display, Works With Alexa, Black, Energy Star Certified, C-wire Required
Honeywell RCHT8612WF T5 Touchscreen
Honeywell Rcht8612wf T5 Plus Wi-fi Touchscreen Smart Thermostat With Power Adapter (black)
Ecobee3 Lite Smart
Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat, 2nd Gen, Black
Honeywell TH9320WF5003 WiFi Color
Honeywell Th9320wf5003 Wifi 9000 Color Touchscreen Thermostat, Works With Alexa, Needs 'c' Wire
Honeywell Home Wi-Fi
Honeywell Home Wi-fi 7-day Programmable Thermostat (rth6580wf), Requires C Wire, Works With Alexa
Our pick for the best household thermostat is Nest Learning Thermostat.
Nest Learning Thermostat is very smart. It remembers the temperature ranges you prefer and programs itself for that range. It helps save energy by automatically turning itself down when you are not in the house. It’s Wi-Fi enabled – that means you can remotely access and control it using your smartphone, tablet or laptop.
One of the main distinguishing features of Nest is that it automatically adapts with the changes in your lifestyle, ambient temperature and the seasons. As you turn the temperature up and down to comfortable settings, it learns what keeps you comfortable and creates a custom temperature schedule for your home.
It’s motion and activity sensors allow it to automatically detect when nobody is home and turn the temperature down.
The “Airwave” feature measures the humidity level inside your home and turns the AC on only when necessary – saving more on your cooling costs while keeping the house cool and comfortable.
Perhaps the most helpful feature of Nest Learning Thermostat is that it lets you see your entire month’s energy use history with Nest Energy Report. Detailed Energy History is available on the Mobile and Web app for the last 10 days. Being informed and educated helps you save even more.
Installation is a breeze and can be done under 30 minutes, whether you want to do it yourself of get a professional help.
It’s currently on sale for $249. While the price is a little bit on the higher end among thermostats, you will soon find that it’s savings far outweigh the initial cost. Plus you’ll get to show off how cool it looks.Buy on Amazon
Intro to Thermostats
A thermostat is just a device that controls the heating and cooling system in your home. Almost all homes today have a thermostat of some kind. If you’re interested in choosing a home thermostat, there are a few things to know about them before getting started. First, you’ll need to make sure that the thermostat you choose is compatible with your home’s heating and cooling systems. The most common types of systems are central heat or central heat and air which may be 24V, oil, gas, or electric. Or, you may have other system such as an electric baseboard, heat pump, fire place, or floor/wall furnace. Determine this before choosing your thermostat.
Types of Thermostats
This is a type of thermostat which are programmable but it doesn’t actually require you to program them. As their name suggests, they learn as you use them and create a heating/cooling profile that’s based on your preferences. They can learn to turn themselves down when you’re away, guide your home to more energy-efficient settings and also provide you with monthly energy reports. Also known as a smart thermostat, they connect to your home Wi-Fi network. You can easily monitor and set your temperature and also manage your home removely from any connected device. The only disadvantage to this thermostat is that it does take some time to set up and learn the system. However, once in use, smart learning thermostats are the best home thermostats for efficiency and ease-of-use. Nest is a great example of a learning thermostat.
Remote Energy Management
This is a type of thermostat which allows users to set up, program, and monitor their heating and cooling systems from any connected device including a computer, smartphone, and tablet. The thermostat connects to your home broadband network so you can access it from anywhere. While this thermostat does not have as many functions as the one mentioned above, the ability to access and control remotely makes it a good option. Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat is an example of a remotely controllable thermostat.
This is a type of thermostat which makes an efficient use of your home system by automatically adjusting to the set temperature throughout the day. You program your preferred temperature at different times of the day and night and the thermostat does the rest of the work. If desired, you can override the system temporarily to raise or lower the temperature. While a programmable thermostat is a good option, it will have to be changed regularly and may not be as efficient as other types. Honeywell RTH2300B1012 is a 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat – it lets you set one program for 5 weekdays and a separate program for weekends.
For those who prefer to manually control the settings on their thermostat, this is an option which allows for that. It features an LCD touch screen making it slightly easier to use than the mechanical thermostat. The primary disadvantage to this thermostat is that any changes have to be made manually. Additionally, this system cannot be accessed remotely and is not very flexible or energy efficient. Here is an example of Digital Non-Programmable Thermostat: Honeywell RTH111B1016
Manual thermostat is rarely sold anymore, but may be found at some stores. Like its name suggests, you control the settings manually. Usually, there is a dial or knob on the thermostat which is adjusted manually to reach the desired temperature. This thermostat is best for people wo are home often and prefer a fixed temperature. However, it is not considered an energy efficient model. Honeywell CT87N1001 is an example of a manual thermostat.
As you can see, there are many types of thermostats available on the market. Depending on you preference and/or prior experience, you may prefer one type over the other. However, if you want to get a thermostat that is smart, takes care of adjusting temperatures on its own, helps you save on energy bills, lets you access it remotely and at the same time looks really cool, Nest Learning Thermostat – 3rd Generation is the best one out there.
Top 10 Best Household Thermostats
- auto-schedule: no more confusing programming. it learns the temperatures you like and programs itself.
- wi-fi thermostat: connect the nest thermostat to wi-fi to change the temperature from your phone, tablet or laptop.
- energy saving: you'll see the nest leaf when you choose a temperature that saves energy. it guides you in the right direction.
- compatible with: amazon alexa, smartthings, google home, ifttt
- check to see if your new thermostat qualifies for a utility rebate; auto-updates for daylight savings; adjusts for 12/24-hour and multi-language needs
- customizable touchscreen in full color with easy to read numbers and text, view your local weather including indoor and outdoor relative humidity levels
- pro 3000 1 heat/1 cool non-programmable digital thermostat white
- model - th3110d1008
- this is manufactured in united states
- compatible with 2 heat 2 cool conventional systems and 2 heat 1 cool heat pump systems. this thermostat is not compatible with electric baseboard heat (120-240 volts)
- 5-2 scheduling lets you create unique weekday and weekend programs, or schedule the entire 7-day week the same. and your program is retained in the thermostat in the event of a power outage
- smart alerts provide change reminders for air filters and low batteries in your thermostat. (this thermostat requires 2 aa batteries which are not included)
- 7 day programming with 4 program periods per day can be configured to meet almost any scheduling scenario for ultimate flexibility.
- wi-fi enabled thermostat allows for remote access via smart-phone or computer, free smart-phone app for iphone, ipad and android operating systems.
- "compatibility is required" works with virtually any system type except electric baseboards. but please note: c-wire is required for this thermostat to receive power. if you do not have a c-wire, you may be able to use the c-wire adapter (sold separately) or a g-wire jumper cable which is included with this thermostat. use of the g-wire jumper cable will allow you to power the thermostat without a c-wire; however using the g-wire solution means that you will no longer have independent fan control, although the fan will still run while your system is on.
- 7-day menu-driven programming with 4 periods per day
- large backlit touchscreen display shows current room temperature and set point simultaneously
- smart response technology allows the thermostat to learn the amount of time a system needs to reach a desired temperature and adjusts accordingly
- total connect comfort app available, remotely monitor/manage your homes comfort and energy use
- energy savings mode, and 7 day easy programming
- custom display, with on screen comfort information
- beautiful and contemporary design complements any décor, with large display and warm backlight for easy viewing even from across the room
- early start mode ensures the desired temperature is reached by the programmed time, making for a comfortable home whenever you need it
- 7-day programmability: program each day individually with up to 4 programming periods. this thermostat is not compatible with base board heaters (or other line voltage heating), multi-stage heating or cooling systems, or 3-wire hydronic systems
- extensive* compatibility - works with heating, cooling and heat pump systems
- 7-day programmable thermostat - set a different schedule for each day of the week
- precise temperature control of plus/minus 1° for maximum comfort
- save money: homeowners save up to 23% annually on heating or cooling costs, plus ecobee pays for itself in under 2 years (compared to a hold of 72 degrees).
- room sensors: place them in the rooms that matter the most and have the temperature balanced throughout your whole home. measuring both occupancy and temperature, sensors signal your ecobee smart thermostat to automatically switch to the right mode for comfort when you're home or for savings when you're not. one room sensor included, 2-pack sold separately
- easily install yourself: it only takes about 30 minutes, thanks to an easy to follow installation guide and an in-app step-by-step walkthrough. everything you need comes in the box, including a power extender kit for homes with no common wire (c-wire). compatibility- gas, oil, electric, dual fuel, conventional (2h/2c), heat pump (4h/2c), humidifier, dehumidifier, ventilator, hrv or erv