Spending some time off to go camping is something worth looking forward to, especially if you have had an exhausting week. You get to socialize with your companions, exercise, be surrounded by the calm of nature, and have a nice conversation at night while having a campfire.
But what about your gadgets like your phone or your tablet? While camping is a good time to unplug and take a break from social media and the busy online world, you will need your gadgets for stuff like taking photos and making calls in case of an emergency. And what are you going to use for lighting for your camping trip? Are you going to use an old school lantern? Wouldn’t that be a bit inconvenient?
Well, the answer to that is a camping generator! We have gone so far from those days when generators weighed more than two people combined and today, you can buy portable generators that are ideal for camping.
5 Best-Selling Camping Generators
Table of Contents
- 1. Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel Inverter
- 2. DuroMax XP5500EH Portable Dual Fuel Generator
- 3. Generac 7117 GP2200I Portable Inverter Generator
- 4. Honda Power Equipment EB2800IA Portable Gas Generator, Steel
- 5. Yamaha EF6300iSDE Gas Powered Portable Inverter
- 6. Westinghouse iGen4500 Portable Inverter Generator
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Camping Generators
- dual fuel – operate your 3400-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus the unit holds 0.6-quarts of oil (recommended 10w-30) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
- ultra-quiet operation – 59 dba is perfect for rvs, tailgating, your next project or backup power for your home, featuring 3400 starting watts and 3100 running watts with up to 7.5 hours run time on gasoline
- clean power for sensitive electronics – rv ready with a 120v 30a rv, plus two 120v 20a household outlets with clean electricity (less than 3% thd) and 12v dc outlet with dual usb adapter
This portable generator has been raved about by many because of its efficiency. It can run on either gas or propane. If you fill it with gas, it can function for as long as 7.5 hours at 25% load, but if you let it run on propane, you can leave it on for as long as 14.5 hours at the same load. It is also quiet, so if you are planning on leaving it on overnight, you wouldn’t have to worry about being kept awake by the loudness of its noise.
Perhaps the best part about the Champion 3400-Watt Dual Inverter is that despite its efficiency and versatility (you can use it at home, for work, or outdoors), it costs much less than most high-quality portable generators out there.
- your purchase includes one duromax xp5500eh 5000 watt dual fuel hybrid generator with electric start, one oil funnel, one spark plug wrench, tools set, wheels and handle kit, dc charging cables and owner’s manual
- portable generator dimensions: 24” l x 17" w x 17" h. product weight: 127 lbs
- specifications: noise level – 69 db. fuel tank capacity (gasoline) – 3.96 gallons. suggested tank size (propane) – 20 gallons
This generator is quite heavy compared to the others listed here, but it is portable nonetheless. Despite its size, it’s pretty quiet and it is low-maintenance. All you have to do is check it every now and then and change the oil when you must.
This DuroMax Portable Generator can run on both gas and propane. What is great about this is that it shuts down on its own once it detects that the oil level is low. In addition to that, you can use it for just about anything–pumps, fridges, lamps, you name it–without having to worry if it is going to run out power right away.
- quiet, compact, easy to use. ac rated output running watts: 1700, ac maximum output starting watts: 2200. rated 120 vac amperage-14.1
- truepower technology provides clean, stable power ideal for sensitive electronics, tools and appliances while the 1.2 gallon fuel tank allows 10.75 hours of run time at 25% load
- built-in handle makes it easy to transport and the integrated off/run/choke knob simplifies startup procedures
This Generac Portable Generator is one of the most highly rated portable generators on Amazon, and really, considering the abilities of this machine, that comes as no surprise. It’s easy to fill and start up (can start with just one pull) and you can plug so many things into it at once and it would still run for as long as nine to ten hours.
It runs smoothly and it is quiet, especially when it is running in economy mode, which permits lower fuel consumption and operational noise. It has a handle and it’s pretty lightweight so it is ideal if you are looking for something to bring with you outdoors.
- 2800 watts, 120v
- trusted, quiet power for home back up
- lightweight and portable
As it turns out, Honda is a company that makes not just cars, but other equipments such as generators, too. And guess what, their generators are just as good. This Honda Portable Generator is very handy for campers with its carry handles and easy to access panels. It can serve as a power source for many appliances including fridges, AC units, and microwaves. It’s quiet, it can accommodate 3.4 gallons of fuel, and it can run for as long as 20 hours at 25% load. Thus, it is very suitable not just for your camping trip, but also as a power source for when there are power outages in your area.
- 6,300 watt maximum ac output/5,500 watt rated ac output
- pure sine wave (pulse width modulation) inverter system - run electronic equipment, appliances, variable-speed power tools and computers.
- smart throttle - automatically adjusts engine speed to match power demand, reduces noise, fuel consumption and engine wear.
The highlights of this portable generator from Yamaha include a wireless remote control, which means that you can control it from afar, and its Smart Throttle feature, which makes it adjust automatically based on how much power is needed, thus reducing power consumption.
Like the others listed here, this one is quiet, thus it’s ideal for overnight use even if you’re the type who is sensitive to noises, and it can give power to just about anything, from appliances you brought for camping to your phone. Other helpful features include the fuel level gauge, the power meter, and hour meter.
This portable generator is lightweight, so it wouldn’t be burdensome if you want to use it outdoors.
- 3700 rated watts and 4500 peak watts at less than 3% thd – telescoping handle – gas powered – remote start with included key fob, electric and recoil start
- features a 5–20r 120v duplex household outlet, an rv-ready tt-30r 30 amp outlet and two usb outlets – great choice for travel trailers or home use – strong enough to run all your essentials
- led data center: rotating digital display shows fuel level, power output, remaining run time, voltage output, and lifetime hours
This portable generator looks like a tough one, and it is. It can run for as long as 18 hours at 25% load, it supports a great deal of appliances and electronics and yet it does not produce a lot of noise when it’s working. It also has an LED screen to show you important data about the machine’s work, and it has various types of ports, including USB ports.
The Westinghouse iGen4500 Portable Inverter Generator has wheels and a handle that you can adjust so that you can just tug it along like a suitcase with ease. You can also control this portable generator even if you are yards away because it has a wireless remote. It’s camper- and RV-ready.
Camping is your chance to get in touch with nature and reduce your use of electronics and gadgets, but you know, that does not necessarily mean you have to give up using electricity entirely. Besides, electricity is a must these days, even if you are planning to spend a night or two in the forest. You need it for lighting, for your radio, your phone, your flashlight, and many other things. Luckily, you can simply buy an excellent portable generator to help you out. Hopefully this article helped you determine which portable generator to get for your upcoming camping trip!