There’s nothing better than spending the great outdoors with friends and family. And for that, you need an AM/FM radio to accompany your trip.
Though there’s no denying that AM/FM radios are flooding the market these days, but we highly recommend brands such as FosPower, Panasonic, and Monster Roam if you want quality at its finest.
Who said radios are a thing of the past? There’s no denying that radio sales are getting slower with the growing smartphone economy since phones already have a built-in radio on it. But that doesn’t mean people have already completely abandoned radios.
Travelers, especially campers, are still using radios for their outdoor adventures. And if you’re planning to go on your first camping trip, then this article is for you. Today, we are going to list down the best radios that you can buy for camping. That said, let’s have a look at them!
5 Best-Selling AM FM Radios for Camping
Table of Contents
Reviews of 5 Top Rated AM FM Radios for Camping
For those on a budget, the Panasonic Rf-2400D is the best bang for the buck option. This radio is built with camping in mind. It has all the necessary features you need and nothing you don’t. And yes, only ‘basic’ features since this is only a budget radio.
It’s also lightweight and only weighs 1.9 pounds, making it portable that doesn’t add too much weight to your bag. The best part of this radio is its speakers. It got a large 10cm speaker that delivers high-quality sound. Bad weather? No problem! Its premium-grade antennas will still bring clear coverage no matter how stormy or windy it is.
- 📻【2000mah power bank & 5-way power sources 】 emergency solar radio has a 2000mah power bank which provides up to 12 hours of light or 4-6 hours of radio time,also providing emergency power to any small tablet or phone. including a hand crank, solar panel, built-in li-ion rechargeable battery, aaa batteries (not included) and ac power to make it easier to keep the radio running during a prolonged situation where ac power is off and batteries have been used up.
- 📻【noaa alert radio 】 this noaa weather alert radio are specially designed for emergency need. it will automatically alert you if any emergency warning is issued. it has standard analog tuning of am/fm/sw/7 noaa weather channels. it is a particular device designed to receive emergency warnings for various life-threatening weather events such as cyclones, hurricanes, tsunamis, tornadoes ,severe storms and other weather disasters.
- 📻【2 light sources always powered & sos alarm with flashing red light 】this weather radio with 3w integrated flashlights and 1w reading lamp are handy during emergency power cuts to see any signal in the dark. keep you and your loved ones out of the dark in an emergency situation. can also be helpful for you in camping, backpacking, hiking or other outdoor activities. hand crank radio has sos alarm, please ask for help in case you have an emergency or you want to warn somebody.
And if you want a radio that is priced even lower, then meet the SYIHLON Portable Am/Fm Radio. The first one we mentioned above only comes with basic features. But this one is a different story. Despite its low price tag, it has some bells and whistles included for your convenience.
This includes a LED lamp that is hidden in a compartment at the top. But wait, there’s more! There’s also a second light source that acts as an SOS emergency alarm too. So just in case you are stuck in the middle of a forest, you can use this as a signal to warn the others about your location. Extra functionality on a budget? You can never go wrong with this one!
- 💎 5 power sources with 𝟱𝟬𝟬𝟬𝗺𝗔𝗵 𝗣𝗛𝗢𝗡𝗘 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗚𝗘𝗥 𝗣𝗢𝗪𝗘𝗥 𝗕𝗔𝗡𝗞: this 𝘄𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗿𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗼 has 5 sustainable power sources - solar panel, hand crank, 5v usb input, 3 aaa batteries, rechargeable 5000mah battery. with the built-in usb charging port, this 𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗮𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗼 can be a power bank to charge your iphone, android, samsung cellphones & other devices when emergency, always keep yourself well connected.
- 💎 7 pre-programmed noaa weather band with am fm shortwave radio: this 𝗰𝗿𝗮𝗻𝗸 𝗿𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗼 is the best 𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗿𝗴𝗲𝗻𝗰𝘆 𝗸𝗶𝘁 for indoors or outdoors - independent 7 channels noaa real-time weather forecast to keep you informed during severe emergency disasters. great reception of 𝗔𝗠/𝗙𝗠/𝗦𝗪 𝗿𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗼 with 3.5mm headphone jack allows you to enjoy radio shows without disturbing others. the adjustable antenna can help to enhance signal reception when you're in the middle of nowhere.
- 💎 long lasting bright 𝗖𝗔𝗠𝗣𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗙𝗟𝗔𝗦𝗛𝗟𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧 & led 𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗗𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗟𝗔𝗠𝗣: this 𝘀𝗼𝗹𝗮𝗿 𝗿𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗼 is equipped with 2 light sources: 3w integrated flashlight that provides light to a wide area and better vision when you need to move at night. 2.5w reading lamp that emits enough light to read a book or map in the dark. no more worry about the darkness.
A solar-powered radio that comes with all the essentials at a price that won’t hurt your wallet? Then say hello to the PPLEE Solar Powered Portable Radio. From the name itself, it can be charged via its solar panels. So in case you are running out of batteries in the middle of the trip, just leave it out in the sun for a few hours, then you’re good to go!
It also has a built-in SOS alarm too, just like the second product we tackled above. But it doesn’t end there! This radio can also be used to charge your gadgets again, which is pretty neat considering the importance of power while camping. It also has a built-in compass and an adjustable antenna for better signal reception.
- [2000mah power bank will keep devices powered] fospower's emergency radio incorporates a 2000mah power bank capable of providing emergency power to any small tablet or phone.
- [3 power sources power when you need it] use the emergency weather radio's 3 power sources when you need a boost of power or need to recharge the radio. the radio's crank lever and solar panel are both capable of regenerating enough power to keep the radio, lights, and sos alarm ready to go when you need it most. aaa batteries ensure you have power when not able to regenerate power.
- [2 light sources always powered] the emergency crank radio can also provide light. the 4 led reading light and 1w flashlight provides enough output to keep you and your loved ones out of the dark in an emergency situation.
And since we are talking about solar-powered radios, then the FosPower Emergency Solar Radio is a worthy option in this list too. It has the same functions and features as the PPLEE one that we mentioned above. It has a solar panel, charging station for your devices, and an adjustable antenna.
But the best part? Its large 2000maH battery is capable enough to power multiple gadgets. This radio also has an IPX3 water-resistant rating capable of being soaked in light to heavy rain. Just don’t try to submerge it underwater, as doing so is a recipe for disaster. Not to mention, it also has a dedicated weather emergency forecast from NOAA stations.
- 30 watts of audio up to 20 hours of playtime
- ip67 water resistant and floats upright
- digital signal processor for better sound quality
If you want to blast your tunes while camping, then look no further with the Monster Roam Portable Radio Speaker. Although pricey, this radio is the ultimate entertainment powerhouse for your camping trips. It gives you the best of both worlds of a portable speaker and a radio. Thanks to its digital sound processor, you get high-quality audio even if it’s submerged in water.
And speaking of submerging, the radio is rated IP67 water-resistant. Now you don’t have to worry even if you dip it on a nearby river. And for added aesthetics, it has RGB lights with multiple patterns to choose from. As well as an aux port so you can plug-in other devices too! This is indeed an entertainment radio to get if you don’t mind its price tag.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, it is. Having battery backup is a must, so you can easily power your radio without leaving it in the sun for hours during the trip. Doing so saves you time from charging it up using its solar panel.
This depends on the battery capacity of the radio. If it has a big battery, then expect the charging time to be longer than usual. A good rule of thumb is to charge the radio before the trip fully.
Yes, as long as you don’t sleep on it. Leaving it overnight while everyone is asleep will attract burglars or wild animals that can steal stuff in your camp. Not to mention, it also drains the battery faster too.
Yes, it is, especially if you don’t have extra AAA batteries with you. Just make sure not to overcharge it and leave some power for your other devices too.
Radios (as well as other battery-powered devices) will heat when used continuously. So it’s perfectly normal that it warms a little. Make sure to turn it off when it’s not in use too.