Cold drinks and well-preserved food are essentials on a camping trip. The thing is when you’re in the middle of a forest, a refrigerator or a freezer is not that readily available. If you’re lucky, you might be able to purchase a roomy and luxurious camper trailer, which often comes with a refrigerator, or if not, you could use a small fridge. However, these tend to be expensive. Cool boxes are a much cheaper alternative.
10 Best-Selling Cool Boxes for Camping
Table of Contents
- 1. Yeti Tundra 65 Cooler
- 2. Engel 19-Quart Cooler/Dry Box
- 3. Stanley Adventure Leakproof Outdoor 7-Quart Cooler
- 4. Igloo Quick & Cool
- 5. Klein Tools 17-Quart 55600 Work Cooler
- 6. Coleman 50-Quart Rolling Cooler
- 7. Coleman Coastal Xtreme Series Marine Portable Cooler
- 8. Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler
- 9. Arctic Zone Titan Deep Freeze Premium Ice Chest
- 10. Pelican 70-Quart Elite Cooler
- Frequently Asked Questions
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Cool Boxes for Camping
- the yeti tundra 65 is just as adept at keeping your catches cold in the field as it is storing the drinks and food for your backyard barbecue, this ice chest is plenty roomy, holding a limit of redfish or your prized brisket
- ice stays ice thanks to up to 3 inches of permafrost insulation and an extra thick fatwall design is certified bear-resistant
- the rotomolded construction makes the tundra armored to the core and virtually indestructible so wherever you decide to take it, this portable cooler’s sturdy construction will stand up to the rigors of the journey
Some people say that if you’re looking for a good cool box, then get something by Yeti. Cool boxes made by this brand are often not that cheap, but they’re definitely worth your money.
The Yeti Tundra 65 Cooler is quite heavy (it has very thick walls!), but it does a really great job at holding ice and keeping your drinks and another food cold. Compared to other cool boxes, this seems to be able to hold ice for a longer period of time. If you put enough ice inside, it could even freeze your drinks! Because of its weight, size, and toughness, you can even use this as a stool without worrying if it’s going to break down.
- keeps food and drinks cold and doubles as a dry box - keeping out moisture and/or dust from your valuable electronics, emergency kits and cameras.
- features a unique airtight eva gasket around the lid - for excellent ice retention and a water proof seal.
- features a recessed central carry handle in the lid & integrated adjustable shoulder strap. also includes a removable hanging tray - for storing dry goods.
This 19-quart cool box from Engel can also be used as a dry box for your electronics and other valuables. It’s completely leak-proof and it is able to hold ice for a long time, thanks to its unique airtight EVA gasket around the lid.
This cool box has a nice carry handle and even a shoulder strap so you can take it along with you with ease. Since it’s non-absorbent, it’s also very easy to clean and it’s stain and odor resistant.
- stays ice cold: the adventure cooler has double-wall foam insulation that keeps this ice box cold for up to 27 hours - nearly 40 percent longer than your typical coolers. it's ideal for camping, fishing, picnics, or your everyday work lunch box.
- tough and durable: the high-density polyethylene outer shell, sturdy latches allow this cooler to take a beating with the durable rubber string you can hold stanley vacuum bottle on the flat top. the cooler is made of only bpa-free materials.
- easy to transport: the heavy-duty top handle makes this cooler easy to grab and carry. the strings along the top can hold down a bottle or thermos giving you an extra free hand. it's large yet light, weighing only 3.9lbs when empty.
If you’re looking for a cooler that is tough, consider getting this 7-quart cool box. Its outer shell is made of high-density polyethylene and it has nice latches to keep your food and drinks secured inside. This cool box is so tough that you can even use it as a seat.
The silicone gasket on the lid allows it to keep ice for a long time and prevent any leakages. You will not have a hard time transporting this one because it has a heavy-duty handle. This product comes with a lifetime warranty.
- 5 day 100 qt. cooler
- quick access hatch to contents inside
- swing up handles with tie down loops
This one is a really good cool box. It’s made of polyethylene and yes, it’s heavy but that’s only because it’s probably one of the largest ones you can buy--its capacity is 100 quarts--and while it might be quite hard to carry, that means you can store more ice and cool more drinks and food in this one.
The product description says that it can hold ice for about 5 days, but it can actually do so to up to a week.
- lunch box keeps cool up to 30 hours; main compartment has a 17-quart (16.1 l), 18 can capacity
- cooler supports up to 300 pounds (136.1 kg); not only does this carry lunch, it doubles as a handy place to sit
- inside storage compartment, lid opens full 180-degrees to access and holds items like phone, medicine, keys, napkins, utensils, etc.
If you’re fine with a cool box that isn’t too large, this one might be the perfect one for you. This lunchbox style cool box with a shoulder strap has a 17-quart capacity, and even though it looks quite small, it can actually carry up to 300 pounds of weight, which means you can use this as a stool.
What’s unique about this cool box is that aside from cans and food, you can also use this to keep things like medicines and keys, since it has a compartment perfect for those.
- xtreme technology; insulated lid and extra wall insulation keep ice up to 5 days in temperatures as high as 90°f
- high capacity: holds up to 84 cans
- heavy-duty wheels: effortless rolling over any terrain
This cooler is perfect for the outdoors because unlike most other cool boxes, this has wheels and handles so that you can easily tow it along instead of carrying it. It can hold up to 84 cans, it can be used as a seat, it has cup holders for your drinks, and it can keep ice for about 5 days.
- antimicrobial additive resists bactera growth on liner
- uv reflective color additive prevents yellowing and cooler from becoming brittle in harsh conditions
- insulated lid and case for 3 day ice retention
Products by Coleman never disappoint. This cooler claims to be able to hold ice for up to 3 days thanks to its Extreme 3 Technology, but it can actually hold ice for as long as 6 days. This cooler comes in 3 different sizes, but they all come with cup holders so that you can keep your drinks safe from any spills.
It’s easy to clean, it’s tough, and it does the job perfectly.
- high-capacity, heavy-duty cooler features a charming retro design
- 54-quart capacity accommodates up to 85 cans
- keeps the ice! insulation offers 4-day ice retention in temperatures as high as 90 degrees fahrenheit
Anything that looks old-school is becoming trendy these days, and if you are a fan of such things then you might want to get the Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler.
Not only does this look pretty. It also does a great job. It has a high capacity--you can fit around 85 cans in here--and you can even store 2-liter bottles inside upright. Yes, it has parts that appear metallic, but these parts are totally rust-resistant, so this cool box will surely last long. This cool box comes in different colors.
- heavy-duty, high performance cooler with built-in microban product protection that helps make the product easier to clean
- constructed with a premium blend of thick polyurethane insulation that maximizes ice retention; perfect for outdoor adventures and camping
- features a freezer grade 360 degree rubber gasket and corrosion-resistant t-latches that creates a tight seal to keep the cold inside
This cool box looks tough and guesses what, it really is! It has anti-skid feet, it’s bear-resistant (as long as it’s properly locked) and it has thick polyurethane insulation that allows it to hold ice for as long as 4 days. It also has a built-in fish ruler, for those days when you decide to use it for fishing.
Once you’re done using it, you can easily drain it using its oversized drain located at the side and you won’t have to worry about this cool box becoming home to bacteria because it has Microban product protection.
- volume: true 70 quart internal volume
- extreme ice retention: 2 inches of polyurethane insulation with a 360 degree freezer-grade gasket delivers extreme ice retention
- features: overmolded carry handle, 3 inch locking latches, reinforced lockable hasp, stainless steel bottle opener, anti-shear hinge system, molded-in tie-down slots
This 70-quart cooler is perfect for camping, beach trips, and other outdoor activities. Aside from the fact that it has a large capacity, it has 2 inches of polyurethane insulation that allows it to hold ice to as long as 9 days. It also has a built-in stainless steel bottle opener and 4 cup holders.
You can also be certain that the things you put inside this cool box are safe since it has tough latches and a lockable hasp. It’s also easy to carry since it has a carry handle.
Frequently Asked Questions
That really depends on what you think is more suitable for you. Electric cool boxes do not require lots of ice, however, note that they are not as waterproof as traditional ones.
That really depends on the quality of the cool box that you purchase, but if you go for those that are of high quality, ice can be preserved for as long as several days.
Think about the size, the weight, the capacity, the quality, and the brand.
Wipe it with alcohol wipes or a piece of cloth dipped in a mixture of bleach and water, wipe it dry with a dry cloth then leave it out under the sun for several hours.
Camping doesn’t mean you can’t drink cold beverages or keep the fresh meat you both cold. If buying a small fridge (or an RV with a double-door fridge) is too much for you, you can easily get a cool box instead. Cool boxes work great, especially if you get one that is high quality, and they’re also easy to clean and maintain.