The Best Household Thermostat
Our pick for the best household thermostat is Nest Learning Thermostat.
As the technology all around us has evolved, so have the thermostats. Today’s thermostats are advanced enough to learn and know your desired temperature range and are smart enough to tone things down when you are not around to save on bills.
Nest Learning Thermostat is very smart. It remembers the temperature ranges you prefer and programs itself for that range. It helps save energy by automatically turning itself down when you are not in the house. It’s Wi-Fi enabled – that means you can remotely access and control it using your smartphone, tablet or laptop.
One of the main distinguishing features of Nest is that it automatically adapts with the changes in your lifestyle, ambient temperature and the seasons. As you turn the temperature up and down to comfortable settings, it learns what keeps you comfortable and creates a custom temperature schedule for your home.
It’s motion and activity sensors allow it to automatically detect when nobody is home and turn the temperature down.
The “Airwave” feature measures the humidity level inside your home and turns the AC on only when necessary – saving more on your cooling costs while keeping the house cool and comfortable.
Perhaps the most helpful feature of Nest Learning Thermostat is that it lets you see your entire month’s energy use history with Nest Energy Report. Detailed Energy History is available on the Mobile and Web app for the last 10 days. Being informed and educated helps you save even more.
Installation is a breeze and can be done under 30 minutes, whether you want to do it yourself of get a professional help.
It’s currently on sale for $249. While the price is a little bit on the higher end among thermostats, you will soon find that it’s savings far outweigh the initial cost. Plus you’ll get to show off how cool it looks.Buy on Amazon
Intro to Thermostats
A thermostat is just a device that controls the heating and cooling system in your home. Almost all homes today have a thermostat of some kind. If you’re interested in choosing a home thermostat, there are a few things to know about them before getting started. First, you’ll need to make sure that the thermostat you choose is compatible with your home’s heating and cooling systems. The most common types of systems are central heat or central heat and air which may be 24V, oil, gas, or electric. Or, you may have other system such as an electric baseboard, heat pump, fire place, or floor/wall furnace. Determine this before choosing your thermostat.
Types of Thermostats
This is a type of thermostat which are programmable but it doesn’t actually require you to program them. As their name suggests, they learn as you use them and create a heating/cooling profile that’s based on your preferences. They can learn to turn themselves down when you’re away, guide your home to more energy-efficient settings and also provide you with monthly energy reports. Also known as a smart thermostat, they connect to your home Wi-Fi network. You can easily monitor and set your temperature and also manage your home removely from any connected device. The only disadvantage to this thermostat is that it does take some time to set up and learn the system. However, once in use, smart learning thermostats are the best home thermostats for efficiency and ease-of-use. Nest is a great example of a learning thermostat.
Remote Energy Management
This is a type of thermostat which allows users to set up, program, and monitor their heating and cooling systems from any connected device including a computer, smartphone, and tablet. The thermostat connects to your home broadband network so you can access it from anywhere. While this thermostat does not have as many functions as the one mentioned above, the ability to access and control remotely makes it a good option. Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat is an example of a remotely controllable thermostat.
This is a type of thermostat which makes an efficient use of your home system by automatically adjusting to the set temperature throughout the day. You program your preferred temperature at different times of the day and night and the thermostat does the rest of the work. If desired, you can override the system temporarily to raise or lower the temperature. While a programmable thermostat is a good option, it will have to be changed regularly and may not be as efficient as other types. Honeywell RTH2300B1012 is a 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat – it lets you set one program for 5 weekdays and a separate program for weekends.
For those who prefer to manually control the settings on their thermostat, this is an option which allows for that. It features an LCD touch screen making it slightly easier to use than the mechanical thermostat. The primary disadvantage to this thermostat is that any changes have to be made manually. Additionally, this system cannot be accessed remotely and is not very flexible or energy efficient. Here is an example of Digital Non-Programmable Thermostat: Honeywell RTH111B1016
Manual thermostat is rarely sold anymore, but may be found at some stores. Like its name suggests, you control the settings manually. Usually, there is a dial or knob on the thermostat which is adjusted manually to reach the desired temperature. This thermostat is best for people wo are home often and prefer a fixed temperature. However, it is not considered an energy efficient model. Honeywell CT87N1001 is an example of a manual thermostat.
As you can see, there are many types of thermostats available on the market. Depending on you preference and/or prior experience, you may prefer one type over the other. However, if you want to get a thermostat that is smart, takes care of adjusting temperatures on its own, helps you save on energy bills, lets you access it remotely and at the same time looks really cool, Nest Learning Thermostat – 3rd Generation is the best one out there.
Top 10 Best Household Thermostats
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- SAVE ENERGY WITH NEST: Nest introduces the 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat. With four beautiful colors to choose from and an easy to read display, this thermostat will help make your home not only smart but energy efficient. With just a few manual adjustments, the Nest Thermostat can learn your habits and start to save you money by automatically adjusting the temperature.
- READ THE DISPLAY FROM ACROSS THE ROOM: The Nest Thermostat does something new. It's called Farsight, and it lights up to show you the temperature, weather or time. You can even choose a digital or analog clock face. Farsight is big and bright on the beautiful display - you can see it from across the room.
- A STYLE FOR EVERY HOME: The Nest Learning Thermostat now comes in four fantastic colors; Copper, Stainless Steel, Black, and White. Choose copper to add a warm touch. Stainless steel is perfect for a classic, versatile look. Black blends in with dark walls and stylish decor. And white looks great in simple, modern homes.
- WORKS WITH NEST: Nest has worked hard to design thoughtful devices to help keep you safe and secure. Nest devices not only communicate with each other but also with the other smart devices around your home. Your Nest Secure can use your smart light bulbs to help get your attention in the event of an emergency; your smart washer and dryer can take the data from Nest and run the next load of laundry when energy demand is low. Look for the Works with Nest badge and let Nest handle the rest.
- Pro 3000 1 heat/1 cool non-programmable digital thermostat white
- Model - TH3110D1008
- This is manufactured in United States
- Non-programmable digital thermostat
- Backlit digital display - both current and set temperatures are easy to read in various lighting conditions
- SAVE MONEY: Homeowners save up to 23% annually on heating or cooling costs, plus ecobee pays for itself in under 2 years (compared to a hold of 72 degrees).
- ROOM SENSORS: Place them in the rooms that matter the most and have the temperature balanced throughout your whole home. Measuring both occupancy and temperature, sensors signal your ecobee Smart Thermostat to automatically switch to the right mode for comfort when you're home or for savings when you're not. One Room Sensor included, 2-pack sold separately
- EASILY INSTALL YOURSELF: It only takes about 30 minutes, thanks to an easy to follow installation guide and an in-app step-by-step walkthrough. Everything you need comes in the box, including a Power Extender Kit for homes with no common wire (C-wire).
- CONTROL FROM ANYWHERE: Easily adjust your thermostat from wherever you are using your iOS (iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch) or Android device. The ecobee mobile app is available in the App Store or on Google Play.
- BUILT-IN ALEXA: Control your thermostat using your voice with built-in Alexa. Ask to play music, hear the news, set a timer, adjust the temperature, and so much more. Wifi connectivity is ieee 802.11 b/g/n at 2.4 GHz. Tip-make sure your HVAC panel is fully closed. Some systems will not turn on if the cover panel has not been closed properly
- Works with Amazon Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
- Check to see if your new thermostat qualifies for a utility rebate.Note:Does not work with heat pumps with electric baseboard heat (120-240 volts)
- Customizable touchscreen in full Color with easy to read numbers and text, view your local weather including indoor and outdoor relative humidity levels
- Flexible programming options available based your home or small business schedule, or based on your utility company's peak rate pricing through their demand response programs
- Receive intelligent alerts like air filter change reminders, humidifier pad replacement reminders, high/low temperature warnings, and status of internet connection
- SAVE MONEY: Homeowners save up to 23% annually on heating or cooling costs, plus ecobee pays for itself in under 2 years (compared to a hold of 72 degrees)
- WORKS WITH ROOM SENSORS: Place them in the rooms that matter the most and have the temperature balanced throughout your whole home. Measuring both occupancy and temperature, sensors signal your ecobee Smart Thermostat to automatically switch to the right mode for comfort when you're home or for savings when you're not. 2-pack sold separately.
- EASILY INSTALL YOURSELF: It only takes about 30 minutes, thanks to an easy to follow installation guide and an in-app step-by-step walkthrough. Everything you need comes in the box, including a Power Extender Kit for homes with no common wire (C-wire)
- CONTROL FROM ANYWHERE: Easily adjust your thermostat from wherever you are using your iOS (iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch) or Android device. The ecobee mobile app is available in the App Store or on Google Play
- PLAYS WELL WITH OTHERS: ecobee3 lite works with your favorite smart home setups, including Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Microsoft Cortana, Samsung SmartThings, Wink, and IFTTT
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- 7 day programming with 4 program periods per day can be configured to meet almost any scheduling scenario for ultimate flexibility
- Ability to view local weather from web portal or app, Wink App Ready - No Wink Hub Required. Works with virtually any system type. Note-c wire is required and is the primary power source for your thermostat. Without a c wire, your thermostat will not power up
- In the box you will find: Thermostat, Wall plate (attached to thermostat), Screws and anchors, Quick Start Guide, Thermostat ID Card, Wire labels, User Guide, Quick Reference Card
- Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, Samsung SmartThings, IFTTT, Yonomi, Wink, and Stringify (devices sold separately)
- Total Connect Comfort app available, remotely monitor/manage your homes comfort and energy use
- Energy Savings mode, and 7 day easy programming
- Custom Display, with on screen comfort information
- Simple programming and Professional installation
- Five-year limited warranty
- One program for the entire week-4 periods per day. This product is easy to use
- Digital display. This product is highly durable and and easy to handle
- Compatible with heating, cooling and heat pumps without auxiliary heat. Does not work with electric baseboard heat (120-240V) multistage HVAC systems
- Accurate temperature control of +/-1-Degree F for consistent comfort
- Display options: Fahrenheit or Celsius temperature display, 12 or 24 hour clock
- Seven-day programmable function provides convenient and precise temperature control
- Detailed and clear instructions included for easy installation
- Extra-large backlit touchscreen for increased visibility and ease of use
- Equipped with filter change reminder and low battery indicator
- Compatible with heating, cooling, and heat-pump systems
- Extensive* compatibility - works with heating, cooling and heat pump systems
- 7-day programmable thermostat - set a different schedule for each day of the week
- Precise temperature control of plus/minus 1° for maximum comfort
- Auto change from heat to cool
- NOTE: Refer the Installation Manual before use which is highly recommended.